Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    On question 5a of jan 13 you have to integrate 'x((x^2+3)^0.5)'. In the mark scheme it says by substitution, but why can't I use by parts to integrate it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeki)
    Guys urm any tips on how to tackle vector questions like the ones where it talks about area or about triangle and square trapezium and stuff. I'm really stuck on those 😑
    My teacher always says that a sketch will help you, so just draw a rough sketch based on the info it gives you in the question - if the sketch turns out to be wrong after you're given/find out additional information then re-draw it.

It should then help you with the angle between two vectors questions or the questions where it asks to prove a triangle is isoceles. For trapezium, use the knowledge that you can remember from GCSE about its parallel lines to help you.

Fingers crossed that it's an easy vector question though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    Best advice is to draw and diagram and just list everything you know. Approach it like solving a puzzle, if you like, lay out all the pieces in front of you; consider what you need to find/produce and what you have; apply some of the standard vectors principles to the puzzle and you'll likely see how to get to the answer.
    Oh I get what you mean. I'll try that. Usually I just sit there thinking for like ages 😥then I try stuff but it never works 😑. Btw good lick for tomorow! 🍀🍀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SurgicalRose)
    My teacher always says that a sketch will help you, so just draw a rough sketch based on the info it gives you in the question - if the sketch turns out to be wrong after you're given/find out additional information then re-draw it.

It should then help you with the angle between two vectors questions or the questions where it asks to prove a triangle is isoceles. For trapezium, use the knowledge that you can remember from GCSE about its parallel lines to help you.

Fingers crossed that it's an easy vector question though!
    Thanks for advice I'll try that and see. Yup fingers crossed it's easy vector question! 😬😬 and good luck for tomoorow! 🍀🍀😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronA330)
    On question 5a of jan 13 you have to integrate 'x((x^2+3)^0.5)'. In the mark scheme it says by substitution, but why can't I use by parts to integrate it?
    You can use integration by parts, in fact, I think the mark scheme lists it as an alternative method, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done jan 2013 last question that was a horrible question especially part b my teacher spent 20 mimutes and he couldn't do it and had to look at Mark scheme. 😥

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeki)
    Oh I get what you mean. I'll try that. Usually I just sit there thinking for like ages 😥then I try stuff but it never works 😑. Btw good luck for tomorow! 🍀🍀
    Hey, you too . If you're really stuck on the vectors in the exam and it's not the very last question my advice is to just skip it; remember that the tricky final part of the vectors question is usually worth a maximum of 6 marks (6 marks off 75 is still 69 which in C4 would likely be 100% ums, so it's definitely worth doing the other questions first if you're more confident on the other topics) and will often take longer than the ~7 minutes you should allow for it. Generally I don't allot myself time limits for questions, but if you know it's taking too long then just skip it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeki)
    Guys urm any tips on how to tackle vector questions like the ones where it talks about area or about triangle and square trapezium and stuff. I'm really stuck on those 😑
    Skip it.

Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeki)
    Has anyone done jan 2013 last question that was a horrible question especially part b my teacher spent 20 mimutes and he couldn't do it and had to look at Mark scheme. 😥
    As in part (b)(ii)? Yeah that one was... interesting. I just about got it with a slight hint from my teacher when we did it in class, but now I've seen it hopefully if anything similar comes up I'll be able to do it !

ReputationRep:
    Literally everyone in this thread says the only thing they struggle with is vectors 😂

ReputationRep:
    Plot twist when vectors doesn't appear because AQA forgot to put them in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackNorman)
    Literally everyone in this thread says the only thing they struggle with is vectors 😂
    Well that's because they're a pain in the a**! ...and everything else is pretty straight forward once you've done a few past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Plot twist when vectors doesn't appear because AQA forgot to put them in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone in the exam hall might start screaming in excitement and then we would all be disqualified from the exam! So really, it would just be a sly trick by AQA to make EVERYONE fail - they're taking it to the next level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally very happy they have vector questions. Makes the grade boundaries lower.

ReputationRep:
    June 2014 had one of the most straightforward vectors questions. Wish I was born a year earlier -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wonder what the differential in context will be one this time it's always either ever on paintings or bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    Wonder what the differential in context will be one this time it's always either ever on paintings or bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's bacteria's turn to come up again!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a list of all past grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackNorman)
    Lol vectors are the easiest part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudkipzz)
    does anyone have a list of all past grade boundaries?
    I don't to hand, though someone else might, but you can find them all on AQA's website .

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.