Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateyl)
    I just got 3m, not one over
    Yeah, dy/dx = k/(pir^2) -> r=3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateyl)
    I just got 3m, not one over
    A lot of others at my school got 3 as well... but im pretty certain its supposed to be 1/k rather than 1/ pi R squared... if you do it the second way, you get 3... anyone else able to clarify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoHoosen9167)
    We already had 1/2 when t=π/6
    yer i thought it was wrong but was the quadratic equation 8 sin^2 x + 2sinx -3?

ReputationRep:
    I checked just before the exam, its definitely k over so 3m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akashpatel)
    A lot of others at my school got 3 as well... but im pretty certain its supposed to be 1/k rather than 1/ pi R squared... if you do it the second way, you get 3... anyone else able to clarify?
    From reading the question it seemed obvious to me to be k/(pir^2) as it was inversely proportional to the area. I am not saying I am definitely correct, but I think that this is the answer

ReputationRep:
    Yes because it's inversely proportional and k is the constant of proportionality, therefore k^-1 which is 1/k. I'm pretty sure you're correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ual12)
    Yup!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ual12)
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    From reading the question it seemed obvious to me to be k/(pir^2) as it was inversely proportional to the area. I am not saying I am definitely correct, but I think that this is the answer
    This. dr/dt is proportional to 1/pir^2 and therefore = k * 1/pir^2... so the answer is 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenn1995)
    Yes because it's inversely proportional and k is the constant of proportionality, therefore k^-1 which is 1/k. I'm pretty sure you're correct.
    No this is incorrect, it is inversely proportional to the area not the constant.

ReputationRep:
    No, if y is inversely proportional to x, then y=k/x

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get the +c in the differential equation of 8a to be -4??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did people get 1/3m for the last answer? I set up the equation as 1/k x pi R squared giving you pi R squared over k... pretty sure this is right...can anyone confirm? 1/k as it was inversely proportional to the area btw
    The answer at the end was 3m, since dr/dt was inversely proportional to area, the equation was k/piR^2, you set it up inverted.

All things considered the exam wasn't that bad, wish I had more time, still needed 2 minutes for the last vector question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cattie2312)
    I got 1/2 too!!
    (1/2) was already given in part a

ReputationRep:
    That was piss easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuy96)
    The answer at the end was 3m, since dr/dt was inversely proportional to area, the equation was k/piR^2, you set it up inverted.

All things considered the exam wasn't that bad, wish I had more time, still needed 2 minutes for the last vector question.
    Oh thank god for that

That last vector question was so not worth 4 marks

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme anyone? :-)

ReputationRep:
    It can be written as dr/dt ∝ 1/pir^2 then you multiply by k so that proportional becomes =

ReputationRep:
    Best. Exam. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    Ah man, I really dont know if im right now...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.