Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Is the online concept of 'alpha male' designed to prey on men's insecurities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. There is some truth in it, in that some men are going to be more successful with women than others, but its actual importance in human society is massively overstated. So many morons ranting on the internet saying "a man has to be tall, ripped, rich and handsome to get even attention from an ugly fat chick", and I do have to wonder if they have ever actually been outside and noticed that pretty much everyone else is managing to get girls just fine.

ReputationRep:
    It's a ridiculous idea and yes, of course it preys on men's securities because that's where it came from. The whole concept is a congealed mass of insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    I think people over-think just about everything too ****ing much.

ReputationRep:
    Obs. It's so sad I've got to know things here I can never get out of my head :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Kinda

An Alpha male these days is a guy who looks like he lifts weights and gets a lot of women.

When really an Alpha male is a leader, a protector and a kind male who looks after the vulnerable.
    This. So, so this. Fistbumps!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's been "designed" - maybe co-opted? But still mostly no. People who talk about alpha-male this and alpha-male that, are explicitly trying to be "alpha", unless they are selling some kind of product, in which case maybe they are using the terminology to make money from people wanting to be more "alpha".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I have been advised to keep reciprocation in my own thread minimal, but feel free to post, I am interested to hear your opinion and knowledge.

I especially like the more detailed scientific replies, more of those would be great please.
    To some degree i think it's true. There are always people that just want to show off (be that good or bad - look at forums like RooshV) and there are always those who want to compensate (hence the stereotypes of meat-heads being thick).

I do actually think the concept is real (human society is highly stratified) but i think that few people actually know what a true 'alpha' is and fewer still can actually be considered one. For a start there is a overwhelming focus on physical attributes which only make part of the story and i think this is ingrained into the bodybuilding community. Being an alpha physically to me is about seeking perfection/being the best that you can be, competitive lifting for example can be seen as competing with your peers to be the best physically. Knocking somebody out, outside a pub on a Friday night is not behavior that makes me feel respect. Personality traits make up most of what i consider true alpha male characteristics, the ability to manipulate people into doing your bidding or just be followed out out loyalty and respect are both at different ends 'alpha' traits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffacake111)
    At risk of hijacking original thread, I understand your point and it is achievable in principle if not in practice.

The seeming symbiosis - a kind of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" - is even seen across species and in quite unlikely scenarios (see Crocodiles and plovers) so I am not disputing this.

Similarly if all trees in a wood could agree to grown no taller than a critical height the pay off would be mutually benefical but alas this is not how it works. Just like for the dividends paid to me with a headache if everyone at a party could agree to talk instead of shout...

Am reminded of Dawkins (I think in "River Out of Eden") saying with his usual effortless style that he does so well:

"The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive; others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear; others are being slowly devoured from within by rasping parasites; thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst and disease. [...] In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
    I don't think we need to worry about hijacking a thread about alphaness.

The hawk/dove idea is actually very applicable in practice. It elegantly explains territorial behaviour. It is not perfect in practice because there is still conflict on disputed territories, but nothing is.

Not familiar with any of Dawkins' work. I own one of this books I think, but sadly his reputation precedes him.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest unless you lift weights to some decend extent, you are in no position to complain about high standards set by celebrities. Same goes for women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    To be honest unless you lift weights to some decend extent, you are in no position to complain about high standards set by celebrities. Same goes for women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    uh…yes you do, not everyone has to be a celebrity? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I don't think we need to worry about hijacking a thread about alphaness.

The hawk/dove idea is actually very applicable in practice. It elegantly explains territorial behaviour. It is not perfect in practice because there is still conflict on disputed territories, but nothing is.

Not familiar with any of Dawkins' work. I own one of this books I think, but sadly his reputation precedes him.

I thought similarly of Dawkins till I read his science. He just cares passionately about what's true and science is the best tool we have for that. Try him, as always you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts

ReputationRep:
    The OP is particularly bad at this - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post52268197

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    uh…yes you do, not everyone has to be a celebrity? :curious:
    Nope they don't. But if you're working for mediocrity then don't expect more than mediocrity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Kinda

An Alpha male these days is a guy who looks like he lifts weights and gets a lot of women.

When really an Alpha male is a leader, a protector and a kind male who looks after the vulnerable.
    *Tips fedora for m'lady*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    The OP is particularly bad at this - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post52268197
    That's pretty special.

(Original post by jaffacake111)
    I thought similarly of Dawkins till I read his science. He just cares passionately about what's true and science is the best tool we have for that. Try him, as always you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts
    I'm sure I will some day in the future, but I'm not that interested in evolutionary biology at the moment. This thread is more evolutionary psychology, which is far less comprehensively studied.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.