Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is going private always better? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    In short, I have a rare medical condition and because there's no change in the scans I had in 2012 (both) and in January, at least one doctor is refusing to believe there's anything wrong and believes that I'm just imagining the pain I'm in. Another completely ignored what I said and another has told me that having too much pressure is normal. I know a certain amount is normal; but not to the extent that I want to vomit all the time.

Despite the fact that I've complained of more than just pain, there's a general refusal to do anything about it. I did ask for a referal in July. To which the doctor replies with "no". And then says "we're running out of options". No ****.:rolleyes: I can't take most of what is normally prescribed and having talked to a few people with the same condition, they've been told there's nothing wrong too.

I saw a doctor 2 weeks ago who has suggested that I'm just imagining the pain (I don't actually have much pain though) and has suggested talking therapy. I'd not that long seen the neurologist who'd suggsted a change in medication if the one I was on wasn't working. I was told no by the GP and was put on something else. I lasted one day on that. The result of that medication was deoression and sucidal thoughts, which isn't normal for me. I then saw another GP, took along a letter I was sent and was then given the recommended medication, which helps with the pain; but not the other issue.

A friend has suggested going private. But does going private always mean I'll get the help I really need? My only hope is to have a test on my brain (or spine - my research and talking to a few people suggests there are a few ways of being tested) to find out what's really going on.

ReputationRep:
    I am not quite sure what your condition is, so it is really difficult to think about a solution. Going private might be an option. But in the end if a doctor is convinced that you are just imagining things, going private will only give this Dr. more money for the service that is supplied.

You write that you have been to many doctors and that you have taken a lot of different medications. From my personal experience, doctors and pills do not seem to be able to help in every kind of very individual situation. Again, it's difficult to say if there is some kind of an alternative therapy for you, as I do not know what you have.

In general, I think it's a huge problem with our medical system that they try to treat symptoms instead of the causes of those symptoms. And even worse, in your situation they seem to be really arrogant towards you and your condition. As if suffering wasn't bad enough, being told that one is imagining things is also very painful.

But the point I want to make, is that you could keep your eyes open for some kind of alternative approach towards your problem. There are many alternative approaches that can move mountains so to speak. Ranging from meditation for the mind and psychical problems towards acupuncture, intake of different foodstuffs, etc. etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. My concern is that going private may mean I may not get the treatment I need. Someone did mention going to Norway, who are meant to be really good at treating this. (there's no cure) But I can't justify going all that way! Especially if it doesn't work, or I've got to back again. America seem to have a much better system in place too, but again, it may not work and I can't justify going that far. That's assuming I can even fly.

When I've mentioned medication in the past, I've been told all that does is mask the symptoms instead of actually treating them.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could go to Norway for a week or just a weekend during your holidays. This could help you to see if their treatment works for you.

ReputationRep:
    Is going private always better? No, not in all circumstances, especially for emergency care.

Is getting a private opinion on your longstanding and seemingly complex problem likely to be a bad thing? No - it gets you rapid access to a consultant, though how much of an expert they are on your specific condition is variable - and they may be open to trying things which aren't easily available on the NHS. It will cost a lot though, especially if you then only see them and not your GP for this problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.