'If blacks are looking to gain equality'

Man... sit your ass all the way down.
    Well said. Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAlexis)

(Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Obviously it's a horrible event, but if blacks are looking to gain equality, why are so many looting innocent stores and creating unrest?
    Because nothing says 'justice' like a new plasma telly :cool:

ReputationRep:

PRSOM

What a dumb statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Why are they hurting right now, is it that 90% of black murder victims are killed by other black people?
    Oh I forgot nobody cares about that bit. It only matters if a white person kills a black person.

Some people? You don't deploy the national guard for a few bad eggs.
    The good ole 'what about black on black crime ?!' to deflect and ignore away from the topic.

What next 'what about welfare and baby mama's'.

87% of white people in America are also killed by another white person. 90% of Hispanic people are killed by other Hispanics.

MOST HOMICIDES ARE INTRARACIAL FOR ALL RACES.

But noone speaks of 'white on white' crime when speaking about Ted Bundy or the likes.

The truth is there is an issue between young black males and the police in America and the people are in uproar about this (rightly so). You can feign ignorance and talk about black on black crime but it won't make the issue go away.

ReputationRep:
    Tough call. Let yourself be shot or start another riot. Who wants to be a cop.

I don't hear many people suggesting that gun ownership is a problem. Nor do I hear suggestions for arming police with non lethal weapons.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they hurting right now, is it that 90% of black murder victims are killed by other black people?
    Oh I forgot nobody cares about that bit. It only matters if a white person kills a black person.

Ferguson is an isolated incident imo. People were upset, fed up and felt screwed over. I'm not condoning the looting but yeah it happened and frankly I wasn't surprised. However, the police were no where near innocent during the protests in ferguson, as you'd have seen if you kept up with the livestreams and social media.

Regardless since that incident there have been hugely successful peaceful protests. I have no idea why you instantaneously think the protests are suddenly going to take a violent turn.

ReputationRep:
    They're doing it wrong.

I'll sit my ass right up, thanks.

Don't pull this on me, I'm just fed up with how they react to a cop doing his job.
    How foolish. Black people aren't one homogeneous group, and equality shouldn't have to be 'gained'.

ReputationRep:
    The ignorance of people never fails to amaze me.

Okay, lets break this down. Your response to an issue surrounding blacks in AMERICA (there is an issue there) is to bring up an example of blacks in THE UNITED KINGDOM.

Of what relevance are these two issues to each other ?!
    Or are you one of those people who can't grasp that all black people aren't the same person and they don't speak for each other.

MARK DUGGAN has NOTHING to do with the history of police brutality in AMERICA. They are not in any shape or form related to each other. The actions of a black person in LONDON has nothing to do with a black person in AMERICA.

Stay on topic. We are speaking about the system of white supremacy in AMERICA so i don't know why you're trying to talk about blacks in London like all black people are the same person.

SMH.
    Mark Duggan might have nothing to do with brutality in the US, but there are links between what is happening in the US and what happened in the UK during the riots.

I ask you, were you even in London, Birmingham, Manchester?

I was there, I live in Clapham - I saw the very worst of it right outside my window.

Duggan, Brown and now Antonio Martin have 2 things in common: Black, CRIMINAL.

The policemen who shot them were out there doing their job while you're here sitting behind your computer condoning these thugs because of the colour of their skin(?!).

Of course brutality exists, of course what happened to Garner in NYC was atrocious, but the policemen/women were DOING THEIR ****ING JOB. I think you're the ignorant one, you have NO CLUE what it means to be a police officer, you have NO IDEA what kind of stress and psychological strain they go through, or even ARE going through, because they did their job - but somehow they've ****ing murdered someone and are witch hunted because they're white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    How foolish. Black people aren't one homogeneous group, and equality shouldn't have to be 'gained'.
    Maybe gained was a bad term to use ... but RESPECT is gained isn't it?

If you want people to treat you with the respect you DESERVE, you need to seem them eye to eye.

What's happening in the US right now is horrible, but the policemen (in my opinion) were doing their job.

ReputationRep:
    The good ole 'what about black on black crime ?!' to deflect and ignore away from the topic.

What next 'what about welfare and baby mama's'.

87% of white people in America are also killed by another white person. 90% of Hispanic people are killed by other Hispanics.

MOST HOMICIDES ARE INTRARACIAL FOR ALL RACES.

But noone speaks of 'white on white' crime when speaking about Ted Bundy or the likes.

The truth is there is an issue between young black males and the police in America and the people are in uproar about this (rightly so). You can feign ignorance and talk about black on black crime but it won't make the issue go away.
    So a black guy pulls a gun on a police officer. The police officer rightly shoots him. The police then get bricks thrown at them. Where is the logic here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    Ferguson is an isolated incident imo. People were upset, fed up and felt screwed over. I'm not condoning the looting but yeah it happened and frankly I wasn't surprised. However, the police were no where near innocent during the protests in ferguson, as you'd have seen if you kept up with the livestreams and social media.

Regardless since that incident there have been hugely successful peaceful protests. I have no idea why you instantaneously think the protests are suddenly going to take a violent turn.

Because more often than not, they do.

ReputationRep:
    So a black guys pulls a gun on a police officer. The police officer rightly shoots him. The police then get bricks thrown at them. Where is the logic here?
    Exactly my point.

She's just condoning them.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe gained was a bad term to use ... but RESPECT is gained isn't it?

If you want people to treat you with the respect you DESERVE, you need to seem them eye to eye.

What's happening in the US right now is horrible, but the policemen (in my opinion) were doing their job.
    Again, black people are not a homogeneous group. To deny one person respect because of the unrelated actions of another, just because they share the same skin colour, is remarkably stupid.

ReputationRep:

You're like the typical racist apologist, so predictable it hurts. It has nothing to do with white vs black and everything to do with institutional racism, law enforcement abusing their power and killing these black men while not being brought to justice.

In this particular case who knows what happened but your lack of empathy, dismissive attitude and wilfull ignorance as to the real issue at hand is telling to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    If you pull a gun on a police officer you only have yourself to blame if the end result is you getting shot. I know, in their position, I would shoot someone ready to draw a firearm on me. I think a lot of people, including some on here, are deluding themselves about the reality of the situation. Until you're actually in that position with adrenaline pumping you'll never know how you'll respond. It's easy to say what you'll do from the comfort of your own home. The reality, I'd gather, is very different. In incidents like this, the difference between the criminal being shot and killed or it ending up another police officer shooting can be split seconds. Think about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulbunny)
    Tough call. Let yourself be shot or start another riot. Who wants to be a cop.

I don't hear many people suggesting that gun ownership is a problem. Nor do I hear suggestions for arming police with non lethal weapons.
    I'm training to be cop as we speak - it sickens me that I'll have to face this kind of **** when I make a career out of it, but regardless I work for my country and for my people.

ReputationRep:
    Mark Duggan might have nothing to do with brutality in the US, but there are links between what is happening in the US and what happened in the UK during the riots.

I ask you, were you even in London, Birmingham, Manchester?

I was there, I live in Clapham - I saw the very worst of it right outside my window.

Duggan, Brown and now Antonio Martin have 2 things in common: Black, CRIMINAL.

The policemen who shot them were out there doing their job while you're here sitting behind your computer condoning these thugs because of the colour of their skin(?!).

Of course brutality exists, of course what happened to Garner in NYC was atrocious, but the policemen/women were DOING THEIR ****ING JOB. I think you're the ignorant one, you have NO CLUE what it means to be a police officer, you have NO IDEA what kind of stress and psychological strain they go through, or even ARE going through, because they did their job - but somehow they've ****ing murdered someone and are witch hunted because they're white.

Grow the **** up.

Again, why are you projecting what the black people in your area in Clapham are doing to African Americans.

It still hasn't clicked that black people around the world aren't one person has it ?!

Why are you projecting this on to them when their issues are isolated and are of no relation to what you are talking about ?!

Tyrone in California and Thomas in Clapham are both black but they aren't the same person (SMH!).

Stop trying to turn black people into one homogeneous group.

I honestly believe that some people can't quite fathom that black people around the world are human beings with seperate opinions, thoughts & actions. It's amusing at best.....

ReputationRep:
    Again, black people are not a homogeneous group. To deny one person respect because of the unrelated actions of another, just because they share the same skin colour, is remarkably stupid.
    It's straight up racist. White people are afforded individuality, rights and respect but black people are collectively responsible for one another have to 'earn' equality. What ****ing century is this dude from.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I imply all black people are the same?

Where did I imply I'm grouping all black people?

I'm talking about African-Americans here, specifically.

When I talked about the UK riots, I'm mentioning youths in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)

It's the black brute stereotype.

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.