Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studying the psychodynamic approach to psychopathology in the book 'Psychology AS the complete companion' for my AQA exam.

I can't seem to grasp it at all, from all of the posts online that i have found, they talk about the psychosexual stages of development - but my book says nothing about that at all? In this book, it talks about unresolved conflicts and early experiences.

Here's what I have got so far, I'm unsure if its right - its basically my own interpretation of the information provided in my book, but the other sources I have looked at are completely different. If you are sure about this topic, please give me some feedback? If you're unsure though, please don't say anything? I dont want to add to my confusion.

Here's mine:
    Unresolved conflicts cause mental disorder.
    - Conflicts between id, ego and superego create anxiety in the unconscious mind, which is suggested to influence our conscious behaviour. In order to reduce this anxiety, the ego uses defence mechanisms. These 'ego defences', however, do not offer a long-term solution - so the unconscious conflict is left unresolved. If these defences are used too frequently or out of proportion, they may result in mental illness. For example, if a child experiences perceived rejection from their mother when she has another baby, they may adopt the ego defence - unconsciously - of 'regression'; resulting in behaviours of a more immature developmental stage, e.g. thumb-sucking, wetting the bed etc. The regressed behaviour therefore resulting in behaviour perceived as abnormal and indicative of mental disorders.
    Early experiences cause mental disorder.
    - In childhood, the ego is not developed fully enough to deal with traumatic or confusing events, so those feelings associated with the events are 'repressed' - pushed into the unconscious. These repressed feelings, however, do not disappear simply because they are repressed - they find expression in dreams and irrational behaviour and may eventually erupt and express themselves in psychological disorders. For example, if a boy experiences the loss of a parent in early life, those feelings will be repressed. After which, later on in life, the feelings may emerge again through the occurrence of a similar experience - such as another loss - leading to those initially repressed feelings being re-experienced, which may then lead to disorders such as depression.

Is this right?

ReputationRep:
    Psychosexual development is a theory of childhood development of sigmoid Freud.

Repression, in Freudian world, is where development is 'stuck' in one stage.

The three stage model of personality is another Freudian idea. The id is unconscious desire and acts at an unconscious level. The others act in both the conscious and unconscious.

Psychodynamic theories of Freud is utterly nonsensical and outdated. There are some applications of psychidynamic theory of passing interest but it certainly does provide any scientific explanation of psychopathology, in my opinion if you want to understand delusions or hallucinations, you should look into other theories.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.