The Student Room Group

Gcse maths and english

Is there a possible way that i can just do my English and Maths gcse retake exams without doing learning classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
That's what I would like to do. But I can't find any centre or college that just does the exam? The ones I find include classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Where abouts are you - also you will have to do the IGCSE for English if you are a private candidate because GCSE has controlled classroom assessments which is why they are normally done as part of a course Maths GCSE has no coursework so is ok
Reply 3
Thank you. From south london. Can i ask how i would put this in my ucas form? As i havnt started my maths ot english yet and i dont know where i am doing them so how would i put these qualifications as pending? Such as what can i put for school/centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ok - you need to quickly identify
a) which exam and board you are going to do
b) where you are going to sit them - most exam centres close their entries in January

Maths - the commonest is Edexcel IMAOH ( higher) or 1MAOF for foundation, or AQA 4365 H or F - both are 2 exam papers, one with calc one with out
b) the simplest IGCSE is Edexcel 4EBO - one 3 hour paper, traditional format - no set texts or anything.
Centres- I am not very sure about cheapish South London ones..
this place may help [email protected]
Many of the London tutorial colleges take private candidates, some are VERY expensive - the cheapest we found was Cherry Hill Tuition - who charged £99 each last summer

UCAS- not really sure- I would do nothing until the first week of Jan - by then you should have sorted which syllabus and code and found an exam centre. Then if there is an option for private candidate put that, if not you could mention that you are taking them on your own in your personal statement.

Hope that helps
Reply 5
Thank you so much! I am going to do this. Do you know wether Edexcel or AQA is better? And wether all universities accept both or do they prefer edexcell. Which one is easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I teach maths so I have a preference for Edexcel, but to be honest there is very little difference; ( although there are more free resources for Edexcel online)-you may find that you have to do one or the other if the centre you are using only offers one exam board. For IGCSE English the Edexcel one I listed 4EB0 is the obvious option if you aren't following a course as there is no point in making it more difficult for yourself. Unis won't care which you do
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest