Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Why should I work for PwC? How do they distinguish themselves from competitors? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why did you consider working for PwC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joyful_soul)
    Why did you consider working for PwC?
    Nice try

ReputationRep:
    everyone is exactly the same. although i guess PWC has a cooler "abbreviated" name than EY & KPMG....although I'd say Deloitte and EY have the better colour schemes. Personal opinion only. otherwise everyone gets the same training, has roughly similar clients and has exactly the same way of doing things. proprietary software might have different names but everything in essence is the same.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you answer these very basic questions yourself? If you can't even answer this God knows how you will handle the work.

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer: don't.

Accepting PwC over the other big 4 was one of the worse choices I have made in years. I can give you a quick pro's and con's

Pro's
    - "Market Leader" - although questionable for how long with Deloitte so close

Con's
    - No college unlike the rest of the big 4. You now get home study but at crazy dates. For my last round of exams I had half my study time at Christmas despite the exams being in June. Meanwhile friends at the other big 4 get 6 week blocks in college with their mates and tutors. The current system is so ****ed that you will be working on clients in the weeks prior to your exams forcing the majority of your year to take holiday just to avoid losing their job
    - Pay. Pay has not risen in a decade. I don't know the equivalent in my city, but in Manchester KPMG start on £24k whereas PwC start on £20k
    - Bad attitude at the top. Partners have limited care for the lower ranks. We had to sit through an earnings call where they told us there was no money for pay rises despite the average partner profit share rising £70k to £800k pa
    - Hours. I have friends at the other big four and they do not work the hours I do. I have not worked under a 50h week since joining.

If you have the choice then I highly recommend you take one of the other firms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard12)
    Simple answer: don't.

Accepting PwC over the other big 4 was one of the worse choices I have made in years. I can give you a quick pro's and con's

Pro's
    - "Market Leader" - although questionable for how long with Deloitte so close

Con's
    - No college unlike the rest of the big 4. You now get home study but at crazy dates. For my last round of exams I had half my study time at Christmas despite the exams being in June. Meanwhile friends at the other big 4 get 6 week blocks in college with their mates and tutors. The current system is so ****ed that you will be working on clients in the weeks prior to your exams forcing the majority of your year to take holiday just to avoid losing their job
    - Pay. Pay has not risen in a decade. I don't know the equivalent in my city, but in Manchester KPMG start on £24k whereas PwC start on £20k
    - Bad attitude at the top. Partners have limited care for the lower ranks. We had to sit through an earnings call where they told us there was no money for pay rises despite the average partner profit share rising £70k to £800k pa
    - Hours. I have friends at the other big four and they do not work the hours I do. I have not worked under a 50h week since joining.

If you have the choice then I highly recommend you take one of the other firms

Thanks so much, but is it 'better than nothing'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joyful_soul)
    Thanks so much, but is it 'better than nothing'?
    In Birmingham - when you include pension, PwC pay the most out of the big 4 by a tiny fraction, to their 1st years. The pay across the big 4 will be pretty much the same everywhere, I have a hard time believing there is a 20% difference anywhere in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    In Birmingham - when you include pension, PwC pay the most out of the big 4 by a tiny fraction, to their 1st years. The pay across the big 4 will be pretty much the same everywhere, I have a hard time believing there is a 20% difference anywhere in the country.
    KPMG upped their pay £4k this year in Manchester. PwC have not moved theirs since 2006.

Most of my family have been through the big 4. 2 were at PwC and they all agree there has been a massive culture change. A few of the major reasons for this (at least at PwC), notably over the last 10 years are:

- A new requirement for managers to cut 10-20% off their budget for each audit every year. This is mean't to be "efficiency" savings due to to technology. However this has been going on for 5+ years now and just means incredibly long hours + lower audit quality

- TOIL/Overtime have both been completely phased out in the last 10 years. At the same time the starting salary has not risen since 2006

- College is no longer college. 2/3 of your study time at PwC will be home study spaced out over the 3 months running up to an exam. Compare this to our competitors where they get 6 weeks in one block before the exam. Outside the obvious exam benefits, this leads to a more disjointed and less social experience for a PwC graduate. Going back to college with 30 people my age was a great attraction of joining - unfortunately I got royally ****ed over being the first year this was changed.

Sure PwC is better than nothing, but don't expect it to be what they portray it. We are hemorrhaging staff right now to our competitors, at least in my city.

Their HR machine endlessly spews out that we have been the Times Top 100 Graduate employer for the last 10 years. The only people who are allowed to vote in that survey are students.

How would students know what the best employer is?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.