Slight Post-Virus Problem Watch

AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A few days ago I seemed to have unknowingly downloaded a virus - not entirely sure how still I guess I just wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing. Whoops.

Next day, went on holiday and turned on my computer - ****. It came up with a "welcome to windows 8" screen and wanted me to choose keyboard language and everything; I thought I must have jogged the hard drive on the journey and broke it or something.

Restarted computer and it launched - Norton popped up with the virus (thank God for Norton. Saved my ass too many times...) saying it's blocked it.

spoiler Norton's notice
Spoiler:
Show

Now I'm assuming registry changes means it's changing the start up files. I'm not entirely sure why (maybe to "steal info" by the first image..) but once Norton fixed it was all good.

And now the problem.
One of the changes it seems to have made is that it tries to launch an a .exe on every start up. Now as Norton's fixed it it means it can't, however I'm assuming there is either still part of the virus there as it's launching it, or it's changed a setting I need to change back. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could do this, as it's quite annoying aha

Spoiler what it tries to do
Spoiler:
Show

Bit of a long post for a small problem, but thought details may be needed

Any help appreciated
Attached files
Binary Freak
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdamCee)
You've probably fixed it by now, if not, quote me!

Secondly, get Malwarebytes and get rid of Norton's
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A few days ago I seemed to have unknowingly downloaded a virus - not entirely sure how still I guess I just wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing. Whoops.

Next day, went on holiday and turned on my computer - ****. It came up with a "welcome to windows 8" screen and wanted me to choose keyboard language and everything; I thought I must have jogged the hard drive on the journey and broke it or something.

Restarted computer and it launched - Norton popped up with the virus (thank God for Norton. Saved my ass too many times...) saying it's blocked it.

spoiler Norton's notice
Spoiler:
Show

Now I'm assuming registry changes means it's changing the start up files. I'm not entirely sure why (maybe to "steal info" by the first image..) but once Norton fixed it was all good.

And now the problem.
One of the changes it seems to have made is that it tries to launch an a .exe on every start up. Now as Norton's fixed it it means it can't, however I'm assuming there is either still part of the virus there as it's launching it, or it's changed a setting I need to change back. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could do this, as it's quite annoying aha

Spoiler:
Show

Any help appreciated
CCleaner........Malwarebytes, etc just use them for the time being.
If possible, look up the specific virus to see how to get rid of it completely.
AdamCee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Binary Freak)
You've probably fixed it by now, if not, quote me!

Secondly, get Malwarebytes and get rid of Norton's
(Original post by Iqbal007)
CCleaner........Malwarebytes, etc just use them for the time being.
If possible, look up the specific virus to see how to get rid of it completely.
Never used it before, gave it a shot and it seems to have worked. Cheers
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

spoiler Norton's notice
Spoiler:
Show

And now the problem.

Spoiler:
Show

Any help appreciated
Just FYI, Norton hasn't saved your ass here. It's told you, after the fact, that you have malware, which is almost useless. It's cleaning up malware that's already served its purpose, because it's a piece of ****.

The whole purpose of this malware is to steal personal details, passwords, bank details and so on. You should immediately change all of your passwords to any service that you have stored or have typed in on that computer. I'd also recommend checking important accounts for unusual activity, like your email and your online banking.
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Just FYI, Norton hasn't saved your ass here. It's told you, after the fact, that you have malware, which is almost useless. It's cleaning up malware that's already served its purpose, because it's a piece of ****.

The whole purpose of this malware is to steal personal details, passwords, bank details and so on. You should immediately change all of your passwords to any service that you have stored or have typed in on that computer. I'd also recommend checking important accounts for unusual activity, like your email and your online banking.
Also i remember this used to be pretty good:
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

Post the report generated by that. We might spot whatevers running on startup.
zayn11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First remove Norton. Then download Avast and malwarebytes anti malware. both of them are free. Run virus scans and you should be able to remove the virus
AdamCee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)

Thanks for the advice, have done it

Also though, the problem that came up with the malware was that it was trying to, and I may be phrasing this very wrong, but what I seemed like was to reformat my computer? Does this suggest that it would in fact just be malicious and have no intent on stealing data? Or could it still be both?
Crydamoure
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

spoiler Norton's notice
Spoiler:
Show

And now the problem.

Spoiler:
Show

Any help appreciated
The problem is right in front of you - you're using Norton.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice, have done it

Also though, the problem that came up with the malware was that it was trying to, and I may be phrasing this very wrong, but what I seemed like was to reformat my computer? Does this suggest that it would in fact just be malicious and have no intent on stealing data? Or could it still be both?
Possibly both. This time last year, ZeuS (a banking trojan very similar to this one) was installed by another piece of malware. After it achieved its goal, it then installed Cryptolocker, a ransomware trojan that encrypted all your personal files. This wouldn't be novel if it was using malware like Destover.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (77)
37.2%
I really love the subject (53)
25.6%
I don't know what else to do (26)
12.56%
I can't get a job (15)
7.25%
My parents want me to (5)
2.42%