Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How long did it take you to find a pill that worked? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my third now.

Microgynon made me feel sick when I started after my week off and I also got horrible period pains on the week off.

Gedarel 30 made me feel groggy, extremely heavy periods and possibly really anxious.

Just started on loestrin and it doesn't seem too bad thus far although I do feel more hungry and have a heightened sex drive (not good although they might not be related but probably are)

ReputationRep:
    I never bothered with the pill myself (didn't like the idea of using artificial hormones) but it is normal to have side effects for the first couple of months while your body adjusts to the hormones and then settle down.

Some people are fine right away, but for some it is very trial and error and they have to try several things. I think its fairly rare, especially at first, for hormonal contraception to be completely side effect free, its very much about the balance of the benefit of the contraception and how tolerable to the side effects/able to adapt to them short and long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    I never bothered with the pill myself (didn't like the idea of using artificial hormones) but it is normal to have side effects for the first couple of months while your body adjusts to the hormones and then settle down.

Some people are fine right away, but for some it is very trial and error and they have to try several things. I think its fairly rare, especially at first, for hormonal contraception to be completely side effect free, its very much about the balance of the benefit of the contraception and how tolerable to the side effects/able to adapt to them short and long term.
    I'm not on for health reasons and not contraceptive so I kind of need them.

These side effects I could live with but the others definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighisonfire)
    I'm not on for health reasons and not contraceptive so I kind of need them.

These side effects I could live with but the others definitely not.
    What are the health reasons you're on them for and have they been thoroughly investigated as to the cause before putting you on the pill. Often, the pill serves to cover the symptoms of a health problem which might, if investigated be treatable, but the pill doesn't treat the cause, meaning as soon as you come off them... because you want to concieve for example, you have the same problems again.

ReputationRep:
    What are the health reasons you're on them for and have they been thoroughly investigated as to the cause before putting you on the pill. Often, the pill serves to cover the symptoms of a health problem which might, if investigated be treatable, but the pill doesn't treat the cause, meaning as soon as you come off them... because you want to concieve for example, you have the same problems again.
    Endometriosis

ReputationRep:
    Endometriosis
    Hmmm yeah, its a complex one, and there are a few treatment options. Definitely worth doing some research of your own I'd say, there's no guarauntee any pill will help with this, and you can be a bit more prone to side effects so bare that in mind. Don't be afraid to ask for further investigation/referral/treatments

best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm yeah, its a complex one, and there are a few treatment options. Definitely worth doing some research of your own I'd say, there's no guarauntee any pill will help with this, and you can be a bit more prone to side effects so bare that in mind. Don't be afraid to ask for further investigation/referral/treatments

best of luck
    Two out of three have worked for the pain but I couldn't deal with gedarels side effects

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my third now.

Microgynon made me feel sick when I started after my week off and I also got horrible period pains on the week off.

Gedarel 30 made me feel groggy, extremely heavy periods and possibly really anxious.

Just started on loestrin and it doesn't seem too bad thus far although I do feel more hungry and have a heightened sex drive (not good although they might not be related but probably are)
    I started off with microgynon too - as everyone does. I went on it "fine" for years, except I had really heavy periods and incredibly intense all-month-round pains where sometimes I had to stay in bed. I just assumed "it was just how I was" and never once questioned the pill, or considered that another pill may help the pains and heaviness.

So finally I've told my doctor my problems, been switched to Loestrin and so far it seems to be working wonders. I've had no pain whatsoever and my first period on it was about 3 days and super light - so seems to be working for me well.

I like doing back-to-back packs, and used to get more pain and breakthrough bleeding whenever I got to the end of the second pack in a row as some girls can get. I haven't tried a back to back on the new pill loestrin yet, but I'm hoping it goes smoothly for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    I started off with microgynon too - as everyone does. I went on it "fine" for years, except I had really heavy periods and incredibly intense all-month-round pains where sometimes I had to stay in bed. I just assumed "it was just how I was" and never once questioned the pill, or considered that another pill may help the pains and heaviness.

So finally I've told my doctor my problems, been switched to Loestrin and so far it seems to be working wonders. I've had no pain whatsoever and my first period on it was about 3 days and super light - so seems to be working for me well.

I like doing back-to-back packs, and used to get more pain and breakthrough bleeding whenever I got to the end of the second pack in a row as some girls can get. I haven't tried a back to back on the new pill loestrin yet, but I'm hoping it goes smoothly for me.
    Thank you. I have had no pain on loestrin until today, it's so bad I was nearly in tears but luckily tablets have taken most of the pain away. Hoping it's not a permanent thing though. I find it quite annoying how you can't take paracetamol when taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I have had no pain on loestrin until today, it's so bad I was nearly in tears but luckily tablets have taken most of the pain away. Hoping it's not a permanent thing though. I find it quite annoying how you can't take paracetamol when taking it.
    You can't?

I mean, I haven't since I've been on it as only been on for about a month but I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    You can't?

I mean, I haven't since I've been on it as only been on for about a month but I didn't know that.
    Yeah you can't take then with it before speaking to your doctor apparently not quite sure why.

I've only been on it for a week and came on today sadly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was on 3 before I found the perfect one for me (cerazette). Two made my PMS a lot worse and I was bleeding constantly and I fell pregnant on one. I've been on cerazette for 3 yrs now and its been a god send. I don't get PMS and I rarely bleed. It can take a while to find the perfect pill for you but when you do, you will be glad you found it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I was on 3 before I found the perfect one for me (cerazette). Two made my PMS a lot worse and I was bleeding constantly and I fell pregnant on one. I've been on cerazette for 3 yrs now and its been a god send. I don't get PMS and I rarely bleed. It can take a while to find the perfect pill for you but when you do, you will be glad you found it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, this is my third and I'm hoping last but I'll have to give it a couple of months and see if the pain stops. Which one did you fall pregnant on if you don't mind me asking?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this is my third and I'm hoping last but I'll have to give it a couple of months and see if the pain stops. Which one did you fall pregnant on if you don't mind me asking?
    It was microgynon I fell pregnant on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    It was microgynon I fell pregnant on.
    Ahh heard a couple of stories where that happened when on microgynon, luckily it didn't agree with me

ReputationRep:
    I started on Levest, had spotting the first month but besides that, *touchwood* haven't had/noticed any side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I am fine with Microgynon 30 (my first) which I originally went on for period pains but since then have used as a contraceptive. I had no idea until coming on here that it causes so many people so many problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulasmic)
    I am fine with Microgynon 30 (my first) which I originally went on for period pains but since then have used as a contraceptive. I had no idea until coming on here that it causes so many people so many problems!
    You're so lucky I wish it had worked for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.