Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary for it to be 4000 characters or little less is ok?
    What are tricks you used to expand or reduce your word count?

ReputationRep:
    4000 characters or 47 lines is the maximum, so a little less should be OK.

can't really say much about the expanse/reduce thing. Just say what you have to say, if it's more than the maximum word count, trim the less important stuff
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Line count is what you're likely to reach first. You should aim to have blank lines between paragraphs and with that it shouldn't be hard to reach the limit so you should aim to be close to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Line count is what you're likely to reach first. You should aim to have blank lines between paragraphs and with that it shouldn't be hard to reach the limit so you should aim to be close to that
    I dont have enough space to have blank lines and I cant delete that much, am I in big trouble?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS tends to add about 10+ characters (it happened to a couple of people I know) to your PS, so make sure your PS is slightly less than 4000. Keep checking your line count - it's REALLY easy to go over the limit in terms of lines, so make sure what you're saying is relevant. Save your word/line count for the important things, instead of "waffly" stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrimCrim)
    I dont have enough space to have blank lines and I cant delete anything, am I in big trouble?
    Does your PS at least look neat? Is it obvious where the paragraphs start/begin?

If the answer is no, I recommend you cut down because yes, you would be in trouble. Admission tutors don't want to read a big chunk of text with no breaks, that doesn't leave a good impression.

But if you have breaks without actually leaving a line - synch as indenting, you should be okay.

I personally used up all 47 lines and had 6 paragraphs. Arguably, 6 is a lot however I do feel that was beneficial to me. It meant 1) my PS was easy to read my admissions tutors 2) I was required to be concise.
    I had a lot of characters left which I could have used up but opted not to.

I have recieved all of my offers, whether that's because of my personal statement or not I don't know, but I do think it played a big part!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Does your PS at least look neat? Is it obvious where the paragraphs start/begin?

If the answer is no, I recommend you cut down because yes, you would be in trouble. Admission tutors don't want to read a big chunk of text with no breaks, that doesn't leave a good impression.

But if you have breaks without actually leaving a line - synch as indenting, you should be okay.

I personally used up all 47 lines and had 6 paragraphs. Arguably, 6 is a lot however I do feel that was beneficial to me. It meant 1) my PS was easy to read my admissions tutors 2) I was required to be concise.
    I had a lot of characters left which I could have used up but opted not to.

I have recieved all of my offers, whether that's because of my personal statement or not I don't know, but I do think it played a big part!
    How do you indent in UCAS? The TAB button doesnt work.

ReputationRep:
    How do you indent in UCAS? The TAB button doesnt work.
    I'm not sure because I didn't do it myself, and I can't log in to apply to check because I've sent off my application now

I think they did it on Word then copy pasted it, have you tried that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure because I didn't do it myself, and I can't log in to apply to check because I've sent off my application now

I tried it, didnt work. in fact, I had gaps between paragraphs in my .docx version of the personal statement, but in UCAS these gaps disappeared :/

ReputationRep:
    I tried it, didnt work. in fact, I had gaps between paragraphs in my .docx version of the personal statement, but in UCAS these gaps disappeared :/
    Yup, that happens. I had gaps on word and had to manually put them in again on UCAS.

Hmm, I think wait to see if somebody else knows the answer here and if not email your teacher? They may be able to help. Or ask a friend if you know somebody else who has also indented

ReputationRep:

Apparently indent paragraph dont exist in UCAS

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure my friends did, I read their personal statements.

Where did you read that?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right actually. Quick google search suggests it's not possible.

My friends probably thought you were allowed too and did indent in word thinking it would be fine.

I recommend just making sure that the last line of each paragraph isn't too long so it's obvious where the paragraphs start and end

ReputationRep:
    You can't indent on UCAS!! The limit which most people normally reach first is 47 lines. I kept putting mine into UCAS to see how my personal statement compared to the limit. It tells you how many of the 47 lines available you have used. In terms of characters mine ended up being around 3600 due to the line limit and putting blank lines between paragraphs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I dont have enough space to have blank lines and I cant delete that much, am I in big trouble?
    Word and UCAS formatting is different, which is why the blank spaces don't appear and indents don't work. It's not the end of the world, but you want to make it as easy to read as possible and there is always something that can be removed/condensed to make room for blank lines. Sometimes rewording short bits will work if your lines are only short on the UCAS form
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It should be possible to delete.

First chop out anything about your A levels that isn't a discussion of a specific topic or piece of work.

Next cut out any extra curriculars. Duke of edinburgh, prefect, etc. if it isn't about your subject cut it.

Remove any use of the word "furthermore", further etc. these are waffle words and add nothing.

If your character count is still above 3,600ish having done that then go through each sentence. For each one try removing a word and have the sentence still make sense. Quite often it is possible to cut 2 or 3 words without losing meaning from some sentences.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.