<<Computer Experts!>> Help Please!!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
samd294
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My old PC (P500) has been running really slow and continually stalling because of all the spyware it has, i tried to clear it out with some spyware removal programs but they didnt work, so i tried to manually delete them. Ive obviously deleted something important because now the computer wont start (the desktop starts to load but an Explorer error pops up and im just left staring at my desktop background). Any advice how I can get into Windows, or failing that get into DOS from startup so that I can save some files to floppy).

Thanks
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
My old PC (P500) has been running really slow and continually stalling because of all the spyware it has, i tried to clear it out with some spyware removal programs but they didnt work, so i tried to manually delete them. Ive obviously deleted something important because now the computer wont start (the desktop starts to load but an Explorer error pops up and im just left staring at my desktop background). Any advice how I can get into Windows, or failing that get into DOS from startup so that I can save some files to floppy).

Thanks
What version of windows you running?

Your best bet is probably just to reinstall windows.
samd294
Rep:
?
98, wont I lose everything thats on my PC if I do that? If I do that will I have to format the hard drive first? If I do have to reinstally windows and lose my filies how can I get into DOS from startup so I can save some important files i havnt backed up.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have you tried starting up in safe mode?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would say re-install too...
samd294
Rep:
?
how do I start in safe mode, the only options I get as the computer is loading is: press tab for system messages, press F1 for system setup
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how do I start in safe mode, the only options I get as the computer is loading is: press tab for system messages, press F1 for system setup
i think you press F8, and then it gives you the option to start safe
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
F8 is safe mode i think....

reinstalling windows won't lose you files. Its even possible to retrieve your files after a format, but quite hard to do.
samd294
Rep:
?
now its just the minor problem of finding the windows disks I havnt seen in 6 years....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (130)
46.59%
Take exams next summer (40)
14.34%
Change uni choice through clearing (69)
24.73%
Apply to uni next year instead (26)
9.32%
I'm not applying to university (14)
5.02%

Watched Threads