Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has any advice about what and where I could study at Uni. I'm in year 12 and I am studying Maths, Physics, Economics and French.
    I desperately want to study Mathematics at a London based University but most good Uni's for example Imperial or UCL, require further mathematics at A level but I am not doing this subject because I thought it would be too much work for me and it clashed with Economics which I desperately wanted to do as an A level. Now I regret choosing further maths and it's too late to change my subjects.

I would appreciate any suggestions about what I could do for year 13 as I was thinking about doing further maths for just AS but I am not sure if this would help for Uni.

Thank you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas0920)
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has any advice about what and where I could study at Uni. I'm in year 12 and I am studying Maths, Physics, Economics and French.
    I desperately want to study Mathematics at a London based University but most good Uni's for example Imperial or UCL, require further mathematics at A level but I am not doing this subject because I thought it would be too much work for me and it clashed with Economics which I desperately wanted to do as an A level. Now I regret choosing further maths and it's too late to change my subjects.

I would appreciate any suggestions about what I could do for year 13 as I was thinking about doing further maths for just AS but I am not sure if this would help for Uni.

Thank you.
    Further Maths at AS is better than no Further Maths at all!

Alternatively, you might consider trying to self-teach as much FM AS as you can after Xmas, with the aim of completing the full FM A2 in your year 13 if your school will support you.

I presume you will be dropping French after AS, as you generally only need 3 A2s for any uni?

ReputationRep:
    You should do it for AS if you're looking to maths at a reputed uni. There's certain unis in which the further maths content is covered throughout the first year, and in some the first couple of weeks.

I would advise the same as the poster above, FM in my opinion gives that boost to your Ucas application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas0920)
    Hello everyone,

Thank you.
    I would definitely at least try to do further maths at AS. You could also potentially take a gap year and self study for further maths then, although you'd have to check how unis view that.

Although I appreciate they're not in London, there are some unis that accept single maths if you're willing to be a bit more flexible with your course choice. Warwick, which is v. good for maths, does a MORSE programme- their standard offer for that is A*A*A + fm AS, or A*A*A* without fm.

LSE also does a Maths with Economics course, and the offer for that is A*AA with A in fm AS.

I think you basically should attempt to self teach further maths AS, and apply stating this on your UCAS form, and see what offers you get. Just doing the AS really expands your options.

If you're unhappy with the offers you get after that, then I would self-teach the full A-level during a gap year (after checking with unis first).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your suggestions guys!
    I will definitely drop French next year.
    and I have considered your advice and I think I'm gonna teach myself the further maths and mention this in my personal statement.
    Some Uni experts have told me that some uni's accept people who aren't studying further maths although, that uni has required it

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.