Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Best place in Asia to travel for black people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi; I've done a lot of travelling in the continents besides Asia.

My ethnicity and dark skin are constant factors in my travels and I do not want to spend money visiting places where I am unwelcome and/or will be treated poorly.

Of course there is no paradise, I'm just looking for opinions on where the most tolerant locations in Asia are, specifically for black tourists

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    Hi; I've done a lot of travelling in the continents besides Asia.

My ethnicity and dark skin are constant factors in my travels and I do not want to spend money visiting places where I am unwelcome and/or will be treated poorly.

Of course there is no paradise, I'm just looking for opinions on where the most tolerant locations in Asia are, specifically for black tourists

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My reply may be a bit biased because I'm half Japanese but in my opinion Japan is very welcoming to foreigners. I've read reviews where people with a darker skin have enjoyed their visit to Japan because they aren't judged on their skin colour. Japanese people may stare at you (they stare at all foreigners) but at least you won't face discrimination. ^-^

ReputationRep:
    I second Japan! My friend has very dark skin and really enjoyed a month there travelling around the entire country and did not suffer any more than stares (which are a given).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themoldypeaches)
    I second Japan! My friend has very dark skin and really enjoyed a month there travelling around the entire country and did not suffer any more than stares (which are a given).
    (Original post by Kangie)
    My reply may be a bit biased because I'm half Japanese but in my opinion Japan is very welcoming to foreigners. I've read reviews where people with a darker skin have enjoyed their visit to Japan because they aren't judged on their skin colour. Japanese people may stare at you (they stare at all foreigners) but at least you won't face discrimination. ^-^
    Haha do you think it's worth spending time learning some Japanese beforehand if I were to go; I would be accompanied by a Japanese friend anyway and I'm sure everyone would assume, in this case rightly, that I can't understand any of their language

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha do you think it's worth spending time learning some Japanese beforehand if I were to go; I would be accompanied by a Japanese friend anyway and I'm sure everyone would assume, in this case rightly, that I can't understand any of their language

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Find yourself a phrasebook or get an app so you can say basic greetings They will likely warm to you if you can greet them in Japanese! Great that you can have a Japanese friend with you, that will make things much easier. I am getting excited for you now, wish I could go. Best of luck, I hope it works out!

ReputationRep:
    Go where ever you want don't let your skin colour hold you back we are all equal

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may want to learn some basic Japanese but some Japanese people can speak English as well - it's good that you'd be accompanied by a Japanese friend and could probably pick up on the language while you're there, pretty easily as well.
    But you would feel more comfortable if you could speak the language so yeah try and learn before you go.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    japan bruh :cool: I'm going there

I want to go to South Korea, but my god, the things I've seen and heard.

ReputationRep:
    I think skin color doesn't matter. You can go everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a black girl and I've been to Fukuoka in Japan on my own. The people are surprisingly nice, you're just a generic foreigner to them really and they tend to be quite entertained and you get random people trying to speak English to you.
    Didn't get more stares than the white people I was with from the language school. Nice place! They're just as likely to keehaul you out of somewhere as they are any other western foreigner.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouarf)
    I'm a black girl and I've been to Fukuoka in Japan on my own. The people are surprisingly nice, you're just a generic foreigner to them really and they tend to be quite entertained and you get random people trying to speak English to you.
    Didn't get more stares than the white people I was with from the language school. Nice place! They're just as likely to keehaul you out of somewhere as they are any other western foreigner.
    Haha that's so cool, were you teaching English or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouarf)
    Sorry to bother you. Could you hlep to do my dissertation survey because I saw you have the travelling experience in Asia. It's to investigate the Taiwan image as a desternation from foreigners? survey link http://www.mysurvey.tw/s/pWtnh3b3 Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Please welcome to Taiwan where is the one of the friendly and safe country in Asia

ReputationRep:
    Probably Thailand, there's loads of Nigerian gangs in Bangkok...I dare say Pattaya an that aswell. Obviously not Japan, Korea or China - none of those societies are evenly remotely mature enough to accept other Asians let alone crackers and coco shunters.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.