The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Never learnt why...Tertiary carbocations are more stable than primary carbocation so more chance of formation?
Google told me C-O bond becomes more polar due to release of electrons from alkyl groups but I don't think that's the case..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware the key reason is that the carbocation formed in most mechanisms involving alcohols is more stable if its a tertiary carbocation formed since methyl groups are slightly electron donating which helps to stabilise the +ve charge on the carbon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
As far as I'm aware the key reason is that the carbocation formed in most mechanisms involving alcohols is more stable if its a tertiary carbocation formed since methyl groups are slightly electron donating which helps to stabilise the +ve charge on the carbon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's all I know
But then this can be taken in two ways; if it's stable it can stay in that state longer so slower reaction, or because it's stable it is more likely to form so faster reaction. Given that tertiary is more reactive the latter is the case I suppose but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yeah that's all I know
But then this can be taken in two ways; if it's stable it can stay in that state longer so slower reaction, or because it's stable it is more likely to form so faster reaction. Given that tertiary is more reactive the latter is the case I suppose but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suspect the true reason is well above as level chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello everyone. apologies if this question sounds pretty stupid but if you have an equation and it gives X + aq ----> Y
does the + aq simply mean +water???
Original post by hm1234
hello everyone. apologies if this question sounds pretty stupid but if you have an equation and it gives X + aq ----> Y
does the + aq simply mean +water???

It does, yes :smile:
Original post by C0balt
Never learnt why...Tertiary carbocations are more stable than primary carbocation so more chance of formation?
Google told me C-O bond becomes more polar due to release of electrons from alkyl groups but I don't think that's the case..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

SN1 mechanisms are more suitable because of steric hinderance and induction. :smile: ( was testing you) however less frequent SN2 mechanisms will occur with tertiary alcohols.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by James A
It does, yes :smile:

thank you :smile:
Hey guys, do you have any predictions to what maybe could come up in these papers lol I've been looking at past papers now from like 2004 to 2014 and I'm trying to figure out what maybe to expect and areas that could be key.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys, do you have any predictions to what maybe could come up in these papers lol I've been looking at past papers now from like 2004 to 2014 and I'm trying to figure out what maybe to expect and areas that could be key.

what exam board?
Original post by frozo123
SN1 mechanisms are more suitable because of steric hinderance and induction. :smile: ( was testing you) however less frequent SN2 mechanisms will occur with tertiary alcohols.

Yes I know that
But that doesn't explain why tertiary is more reactive precisely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yes I know that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. He's answering a different question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
what exam board?

OCR A- F321 and F322.

I'm seeing certain calculations that most likely will definitely come up like things on empirical formulas- percentage composition etc. Though they are only two marks, I noticed since 2009 to 2014 it only came up twice in two papers. I was like yep, yep, need to go over that.
Original post by C0balt
Yes I know that

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the most reactive in all situations, I presume it's the most reactive when there is a weak electrophile present.
Basically SN1 means the reaction is first order, you cannot deduce the rate of the reaction by looking at the reactants or equations, only by experimental means, but because of the tertiary carbocation being more stable because of induction, they tend to be more reactive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _NMcC_
You don't need the formation data for ethene. Learn how to manipulate Hess cycles. I find it easier and less problematic to set up a Hess cycle. You should get -1558.9 kj mol-1

Here's my working using the longer way, my writing or explanation isn't great but that's how I did it.

To prove it: Using the products - reactants equation. I get the same answer.

-1642.5 -(-83.6) = 1558.9 kj mol-1

I should mention also, the enthalpy of combustion is burning 1 mol of a substance...that's why we can't double up the equation. We are burning 1 mol of C2H6.

Thanks!! :smile:

I used to know but why don't we count the oxygen atoms?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gabby07
Thanks!! :smile:

I used to know but why don't we count the oxygen atoms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxygen is in excess and there isn't actually any enthalpy change happening with the 31/2 O2(g). It's zero. How much heat will be evolved by making 31/2 O2 (g) from 31/2 O2 (g). None because It's already in it's standard state O2 (g). So you could draw another arrow with 0 kj mol-1 if you wanted but it doesn't affect the final outcome of the equation in any way.
Original post by _NMcC_
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxygen is in excess and there isn't actually any enthalpy change happening with the 31/2 O2(g). It's zero. How much heat will be evolved by making 31/2 O2 (g) from 31/2 O2 (g). None because It's already in it's standard state O2 (g). So you could draw another arrow with 0 kj mol-1 if you wanted but it doesn't affect the final outcome of the equation in any way.

Thanks for explaining :smile:
Original post by gabby07
Thanks for explaining :smile:

No problem :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samb1234
Exactly. He's answering a different question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I've learnt carbocations with more alkyl groups are most stable I don't know why though
Original post by samwillettsxxx
Hi I've learnt carbocations with more alkyl groups are most stable I don't know why though

Alkyl groups "release" electrons and make the positive charge less positive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2359
Tip for Hess Law and enthalpy changes

CRFP
Cristiano Ronaldo Football Player

so Combustion = Reactants - Products
and Formation = Products - Reactants

Quick Reply

Latest