ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Thanks for explaining
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Exactly. He's answering a different question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi I've learnt carbocations with more alkyl groups are most stable I don't know why though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    Hi I've learnt carbocations with more alkyl groups are most stable I don't know why though
    Alkyl groups "release" electrons and make the positive charge less positive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tip for Hess Law and enthalpy changes

CRFP
    Cristiano Ronaldo Football Player

so Combustion = Reactants - Products
    and Formation = Products - Reactants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    That could work but the gas produced will have nowhere to go so bung could shoot out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thats what i thought also but then whats the right ans??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A84)
    Tip for Hess Law and enthalpy changes

CRFP
    Cristiano Ronaldo Football Player

so Combustion = Reactants - Products
    and Formation = Products - Reactants
    This is taking a risk if you do it this way. I would strongly advise that you just learn the definitions of various enthalpy changes (which you need to know anyway) and get used to creating Hess cycles with them. If you just remember a formulaic way of doing questions you run the risk of being tripped up if they give you any data you're not familiar with (as they have in the past). Hess cycles drawn properly will also sort out any sign issues that again might lose marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is taking a risk if you do it this way. I would strongly advise that you just learn the definitions of various enthalpy changes (which you need to know anyway) and get used to creating Hess cycles with them. If you just remember a formulaic way of doing questions you run the risk of being tripped up if they give you any data you're not familiar with (as they have in the past). Hess cycles drawn properly will also sort out any sign issues that again might lose marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    bruh the exam is in like 10 days for OCR A Unit 1 i'm beyond screwed

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that is cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamsaidk)
    bruh the exam is in like 10 days for OCR A Unit 1 i'm beyond screwed
    What are you struggling with in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone explain to me why the mols of HCl are used as a basis to calculate mass og ZnCl2 and not the mols of ZnO.
    I was thinking that due to the fact there are fewer mols of ZnO, this would be the limiting reactant however the mark scheme uses mols of HCl
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This is the mark scheme
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewC19)
    What are you struggling with in particular?
    Have you noticed how in every paper there's a question on acid/base reactions and what not? I'm terrible with them! no matter how many times I cover it my mind just refuses to understand I think the rest is okayish, i'm also weak with equations, you know when you need to work backwards, eg in water of crystallisation... it sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetVikki)
    Could anyone explain to me why the mols of HCl are used as a basis to calculate mass og ZnCl2 and not the mols of ZnO.
    I was thinking that due to the fact there are fewer mols of ZnO, this would be the limiting reactant however the mark scheme uses mols of HCl
    Zinc oxide is in excess.
    Look at the equation and ratio. It is 1:2=ZnOCl
    So moles of HCl is 0.12 and 0.060mol of ZnO is supposed to react but you have 0.0830

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With water of crystallisation it's just practice and knowing what steps to follow, personally I take this approach:
    1) Read the question and underline what information you are given.
    2) Calculate the masses of anhydrous, and water. (Mass of hydrated - mass of anhydrous = mass of water).
    3) Using this calculate the molar mass of water and the molar mass of anhydrous.
    4) Divide the molar mass of water by anhydrous molar mass, to calculate your ratio and therefore you're numbers of waters of crystallisation.

This changes slightly dependant on the nature of the question, but if you use this method it shouldn't be too difficult to workout how to solve it!

With acid/base reactions you just have to remember that the ions switch around (sorta): e.g. HCl + NaOH -> NaCl + H2O.
    Just remember the word equation and work from there: Acid + Base -> Salt + Water.

It's just a case of thinking about what you'd expect to form, so for more complex acids and bases. Try a load of practice questions, you'll pick up patterns!
    What exam board are you with?

ReputationRep:
    Zinc oxide is in excess.
    Look at the equation and ratio. It is 1:2=ZnOCl
    So moles of HCl is 0.12 and 0.060mol of ZnO is supposed to react but you have 0.0830

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't believe I didn't see that thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetVikki)
    Can't believe I didn't see that thankyou
    Np

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey would that way of working it out apply to every question that asks which is in excess???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    Hey would that way of working it out apply to every question that asks which is in excess???
    Should do
    Solid is usually in excess though, because you would know that it is in excess visually (solid left) and when filtering interacted acid will not be let through

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should do
    Solid is usually in excess though, because you would know that it is in excess visually (solid left) and when filtering interacted acid will not be let through

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.