Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTextbooks)
    Could someone help me with this question please? Thank you :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As only 10% is decomposed 270cm3 of ozone is left.
    30cm is converted to oxygen. In same temperature and pressure gases of same number of moles occupy the same volume. Ozonexygen are in 3:2 ratio so you multiply 30cm3 by 2/3, which gives 20cm3
    Add the volume of ozone left and it is 290cm3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's so helpful thanks alot!! My teacher spent ages explaining this to me, but you just made it alot easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hello does anyone know where i can find old edexcel chemistry mark schemes? like june 2004 and such
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    when does AQA not want as level chemistry unit 1students to talk about VDW IMF in bonding and structure questions !? im lossigng marks by talking about intermolecular forces i bonding questions and i havent a clue why! please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orla97)
    when does AQA not want as level chemistry unit 1students to talk about VDW IMF in bonding and structure questions !? im lossigng marks by talking about intermolecular forces i bonding questions and i havent a clue why! please help!!
    What's the specific question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orla97)
    Probably because covalent/ionic bonding is not intermolecular... It's intramolecular

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain this,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordBanter)
    With acidified potassium dichromate (VI) under reflux the primary alcohol is fully oxidised to form carboxylic acid.
    But if it's distilled off as it reacts it will only be partially oxidised to an aldehyde.

I am not sure about the other two as they are not on my syllabus. With a quick Google search I found the word esterification - maybe rings a bell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    With acidified potassium dichromate (VI) under reflux the primary alcohol is fully oxidised to form carboxylic acid.
    But if it's distilled off as it reacts it will only be partially oxidised to an aldehyde.

I am not sure about the other two as they are not on my syllabus. With a quick Google search I found the word esterification - maybe rings a bell?
    I think its an Ester, but i don't understand how I would write the answer for the top left, it says the answer is 'CH3CH2CH2COOH

where has the third 'CH2' gone

ReputationRep:
    I think its an Ester, but i don't understand how I would write the answer for the top left, it says the answer is 'CH3CH2CH2COOH

H has been taken away to form C=O bond for carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone maybe have a complete list of 'test-tube' experiments that can be used to identify organic functional groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm1234)
    hello does anyone know where i can find old edexcel chemistry mark schemes? like june 2004 and such
    thanks
    Try a-level chemistry or just google 'june 2004 markscheme chemistry' with the exam board name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    Does anyone maybe have a complete list of 'test-tube' experiments that can be used to identify organic functional groups?
    Do you do the AQA spec?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% that one is an ester. You need concentrated H2SO4 for the conversion and note how it's not showing as (aq), so clues are there that it's a concentrated form of the acid. That distinguishes the reaction from an oxidation of the alcohol to a carboxylic acid

Final product for the ester is :

CH3COOCH2CH2CH2CH3 (butyl ethanoate).

Top left is CH2CH2CH2COOH. That has to be the answer and the answers provided would be wrong if they missed out any carbons. You start with four carbons and end up with four carbons The carbon attatched to the OH group is where the carboxylic acid group will replace!

ReputationRep:
    I think top right would be a dehydration reaction so h20 is removed to form an alkene and bottom right is an ester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    Do you do the AQA spec?
    Yes, I do.
    P.S-I've also noticed that I've posted this in the AS section, but am referring to A2 stuff too :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadys10)
    I'm kinda replying a bit late but you guys gave me really good advice. I'm actually doing the full alevels here biology, chemistry and maths this yr plus as physics. I've been off tsr and managed to get AS + half A2 maths, AS biology and a little bit of chemistry and physics done this week (learnt and understood, did some practice questions on topics as I learnt them, I also plan to do the papers real soon). The splitting into chapters and topics technique makes it easier to learn the stuff and seems less overwhelming. Thanks so much.

btw what's georgiam247, what's LTM?
    Long term memory lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _NMcC_)
    Hi guys, I have produced a glossary of terms for F321 mod-1 (atoms and reactions) if you want to have a look. Thanks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/re...tions_glossary
    Would be so helpful but link doesn't work any other way of sending them?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    http://www.docbrown.info/page13/Chem...icalTestsf.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caoimheedwards)
    Would be so helpful but link doesn't work any other way of sending them?
    My apologies, since I made that post - I changed a 2 minor typos and reuploaded the document. That's why that link probably isn't working. try this one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/re...of_definitions

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.