Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing, Kero, nice link :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to go about finding out the answer to this. The answer is Si, but how so?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    I don't know how to go about finding out the answer to this. The answer is Si, but how so?
    Hi.

Look at the numbers in the table. Do you see the big 'jump' between the fourth and fifth ionisation energies? There's almost a four-fold increase. This is because this is where an electron from a new quantum shell level is being removed. If you follow across period three, you'll find that the 4th element across (in group 4) is Silicon. Think about the electronic configuration of silicon... it ends 3s2 3p2. If four electrons are removed, the fifth will come from the 2p sub shell, that's a whole new shell, which is closer to the nucleus. This is why there is so much of a jump, and why the element depicted is Silicon.

Hope I've been accurate/clear enough!

ReputationRep:
    There's a jump in IE between 4th and 5th. Si is in group 4 and has four outer shell electrons. By fourth IE all the outer shell electrons are removed and an electron is being removed from a shell below from 5th IE onwards. So the distance between the outermost electron and the nucleus decreases and also shielding decreases so the attraction between the nucleus and the electron stronger. Requiring a lot more energy to remove it hence the jump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am finding it hard to talk about what when saying why something has a high boiling/melting point. When do I talk about van der waals and intermolecular forces? Is it with simple molecules, and when do I talk about many strong covalent bonds, is it with Giant Covalent structures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Hi.

Look at the numbers in the table. Do you see the big 'jump' between the fourth and fifth ionisation energies? There's almost a four-fold increase. This is because this is where an electron from a new quantum shell level is being removed. If you follow across period three, you'll find that the 4th element across (in group 4) is Silicon. Think about the electronic configuration of silicon... it ends 3s2 3p2. If four electrons are removed, the fifth will come from the 2p sub shell, that's a whole new shell, which is closer to the nucleus. This is why there is so much of a jump, and why the element depicted is Silicon.

Hope I've been accurate/clear enough!
    Yes thank you so I'd start from the beginning of period 3 then whenever the big jump is its that element
    And this would work for any period?

ReputationRep:
    Yes thank you so I'd start from the beginning of period 3 then whenever the big jump is its that element
    And this would work for any period?
    Yes, in principle the same applies for any row of the PT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzie2)
    Hey guys, I am finding it hard to talk about what when saying why something has a high boiling/melting point. When do I talk about van der waals and intermolecular forces? Is it with simple molecules, and when do I talk about many strong covalent bonds, is it with Giant Covalent structures?
    Hi when you're talking about boiling point and meting point you have to talk about van der waals - the bigger the atom, the more electrons and the bigger the surface area the more van der waals therefore more energy needed to overcome the force therefore high melting/boiling point

Yes for the second part, diamond and graphite are giant covalent structures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Yes, in principle the same applies for any row of the PT.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    How are my cheeky bums doing? :elefant:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lol @ me calling you guys cheeky bums :rofl: - CC I did laugh.

And ffs whats happened to the beautiful purple colour I'd always used :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    How are my cheeky bums doing? :elefant:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lol @ me calling you guys cheeky bums :rofl: - CC I did laugh.

And ffs whats happened to the beautiful purple colour I'd always used :sad:
    OCR A CHEMISTRY STUDY GROUP JOIN HERE:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/st...cr_a_chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Omg I just made an Edexcel one

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/st...ry_study_group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Omg I just made an Edexcel one

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/st...ry_study_group
    I have accepted you here
    many thanks for joining hope you find it useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymania999)
    I have accepted you here
    many thanks for joining hope you find it useful
    No, thank you
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    x
    Yep, I couldn't PM you the link so I decided to quote you
    I've added more on the Exam Discussion thread, in the OP by the way
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Nucleophillic Substitution.docx (321.0 KB, 95 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feraligatr)
    X
    The cats on page 6 though :giggle:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    The cats on page 6 though :giggle:
    :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feraligatr)
    :eyeball:
    What? :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Hi when you're talking about boiling point and meting point you have to talk about van der waals - the bigger the atom, the more electrons and the bigger the surface area the more van der waals therefore more energy needed to overcome the force therefore high melting/boiling point

Yes for the second part, diamond and graphite are giant covalent structures
    With giant covalent structure like diamond and graphite, do I talk about their many covalent bonds, layers and such because in a paper I did yesterday that's what the markscheme said
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    What? :cry2:
    Yeah....about that, no..

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.