Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know where I can find the June 2007 'Foundation' paper mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  chemdip.png
Views: 147
Size:  130.3 KB

Can someone explain why dipole dipole is the answer

--> If this was NH4+, or CH4, there wouldn't be any dipoles because the molecule is surrounded by the same delta charge, so another molecule cannot be attracted to it as the like charges on the outside of each molecule will repel them away.

However, with CCl2F2, there is dipole-dipole formation. Why? Is it because of the polarity difference between C-F and C-Cl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)

--> If this was NH4+, or CH4, there wouldn't be any dipoles because the molecule is surrounded by the same delta charge, so another molecule cannot be attracted to it as the like charges on the outside of each molecule will repel them away.

However, with CCl2F2, there is dipole-dipole formation. Why? Is it because of the polarity difference between C-F and C-Cl?
    Fluorine is more electronegative so gets the delta negative forming a dipole so there is attraction between the opposite charges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poole & The Gang)
    Fluorine is more electronegative so gets the delta negative forming a dipole so there is attraction between the opposite charges
    Yes but C-Cl is also polar, and Cl has a negative dipole, and prevents the delta positive charge from interacting with any other molecule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTextbooks)
    Can someone explain the electrophillic addition of bromine water to cyclopentene? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think this is how you do it. I may have an arrow wrong way round though, I don't think I do though, maybe someone can verify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNoobishKnight)
    I think this is how you do it. I may have an arrow wrong way round though, I don't think I do though, maybe someone can verify?
    Love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Love it
    lol thanks doing bio revision atm so had to do it quick :P.
    So much darn mechanisms i keep confusing them with A2 stuff lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I really needed a diagram and I appreciate this art work lol 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotoriousS)
    Yes I am
    It's tomorrow! :-(

ReputationRep:
    im reallly scared im doing edexcel unit 1 and apparently its gonna be the R paper

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else think the AQA EMPA was really really hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    me
    hiiii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)

And it burns, burns, burns (tabs!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.bob)
    And it burns, burns, burns (tabs!)
    I'll burn you if you don't answer my question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfire123)
    hiiii
    yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfire123)
    im reallly scared im doing edexcel unit 1 and apparently its gonna be the R paper
    What's the R paper? any difference?

ReputationRep:
    International paper, same content but slightly harder for some reason

ReputationRep:
    Any likely Q's ???
    Im really dreading this paper

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone tell me what chemical tests we may need to know? AS Edexcel unit 1

ReputationRep:
    How do you know this?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.