Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help??
    Aluminium chloride has a relative molecular mass of 267 in the gas phase.Deduce the formula of the aluminium compound that has a relative molecular massof 267 (1 mark)

5 (d) Deduce the name or formula of a compound that has the same number of atoms, thesame number of electrons and the same shape as the AlCl4− ion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyl98an)
    Apparently ions have a different electron configuration??
    Yes they do. If it's a positive ion take however many electrons off the config that is the charge
    If it's a negative ion add on however many electrons the charge is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTextbooks)
    How would you answer the following questions for 3 marks each:
    Explain why the first ionisation energy of group 6 is less than that of group 5 elements?
    Why is the first ionisation energy of group 3 lower than group 2??
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Electrons are being paired in the np orbital for the group 6 element which causes electron pair repulsion such that the ionisation energy is lower due to a lower attraction. Group 5 has no repulsion

2. Group 3 has an electron occupying the np orbital which is higher in energy than the ns orbital so is easier to remove. Lower IE than grp 2

ReputationRep:
    can I see the actual question

ReputationRep:
    What are the 2 equations when chlorine reacts with sodium hydroxide to make bleach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakeyboy)
    Attachment 405115 how do you work out the mass number?!?!
    ((121.3 * 100 ) - ( 60*121)) / 40 = 123

ReputationRep:
    Btw, I ABSOLUTELY love your handwriting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if anyone need last years jan and june 2014 IAL paper for edexcel send me a message of ur email i ll send it to you as you know tommorw we are doing the R paper as it is roughly the same hardness as international paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakeyboy)
    Thank You!
    its abundance and m/e mass do you remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMillnsy)
    What are the 2 equations when chlorine reacts with sodium hydroxide to make bleach?
    2NaOH(aq) + Cl2(g) --> NaOCl(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) ...keep in mind that the actual reaction is between OH- and chlorine gas. The sodium ion is a spectator ion. 2OH- + Cl2 --> Cl- + OCl- + H2O
    It involves the disproportionation of chlorine to form chlorine with two different oxidation numbers, -1 in Cl- and +1 in OCl-.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    Yes they do. If it's a positive ion take however many electrons off the config that is the charge
    If it's a negative ion add on however many electrons the charge is?
    yes you are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshthemathmo)
    1. Electrons are being paired in the np orbital for the group 6 element which causes electron pair repulsion such that the ionisation energy is lower due to a lower attraction. Group 5 has no repulsion

2. Group 3 has an electron occupying the np orbital which is higher in energy than the ns orbital so is easier to remove. Lower IE than grp 2
    Thank you I just wanted to get the right wording, good luck :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfire123)
    can I see the actual question
    Sample of relative atomic mass mass 121.8 was passed through mass spectrometer
    It consisted of 60% of 121 and another isotope
    What is the mass of the other one
    Along that line

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfire123)
    2NaOH(aq) + Cl2(g) --> NaOCl(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) ...keep in mind that the actual reaction is between OH- and chlorine gas. The sodium ion is a spectator ion. 2OH- + Cl2 --> Cl- + OCl- + H2O
    It involves the disproportionation of chlorine to form chlorine with two different oxidation numbers, -1 in Cl- and +1 in OCl-.
    Is this the reaction where the NaOH is cold or hot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Btw, I ABSOLUTELY love your handwriting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Sample of relative atomic mass mass 121.8 was passed through mass spectrometer
    It consisted of 60% of 121 and another isotope
    What is the mass of the other one
    Along that line

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks its actually a good question never seen like this thanks for your help really appreciated I know I had to do something like wat u did

also why did you do 100-60 is it for the step

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMillnsy)
    Is this the reaction where the NaOH is cold or hot?
    i dont think there is a difference

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys is there a like specification for chemistry and does anyone know all the keywords we need to know i learnt all the ones my teacher said but not sure if he's gave us the whole key term list

ReputationRep:
    hi i dont get ur explanation for q 11

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.