Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabella~)
    If you have CH2F2 and are asked to draw the partial charges, what do you do with the hydrogen atoms since they're less electronegative than carbon?
    Partial positive charges on the hydrogens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Partial positive charges on the hydrogens.
    Ohh okay, is there an overal dipole?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh okay, is there an overal dipole?
    There will be a dipole, partially negative towards the fluorines and partially positive towards the hydrogens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    There will be a dipole, partially negative towards the fluorines and partially positive towards the hydrogens.
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!
    No prob!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i need help im doing OCR A and ive just done this Q and i dont get it:

3-methylheptane reacts with chlorine in presence of UV to give several strucural isomers of C8H17Cl

The answer is 8, but i thought 16 because you can move the Cl to 4 diff places, then a methyl gp in 5 dff places etc etc. its only 1 mark so it must be obvious? I dont get how to work that out so easily... Or why its just 8 ta guyz hope exams are doing okay

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys does any body know a good website with all the reagents, test and observations for Chem 2 thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiam247)
    Hey i need help im doing OCR A AS and ive just done this Q and i dont get it:3-methylheptane reacts with chlorine in presence of UV to give several strucural isomers of C8H17ClThe answer is 8, but i thought 16 because you can move the Cl to 4 diff places, then a methyl gp in 5 dff places etc etc. its only 1 mark so it must be obvious? I dont get how to work that out so easily... Or why its just 8 ta guyz hope exams are doing okay
    You've sent the same message 3 times -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If there's a positional isomer of an alkene - do you change the position of the double bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeky 12)
    Hi guys does any body know a good website with all the reagents, test and observations for Chem 2 thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here's one for the reagents.. This is from chemrevise.org

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  84.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeky 12)
    You've sent the same message 3 times -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Errr sorry it said it wasnt sending..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Positional - one or more atoms are in a different place eg 2-bromoheptane and 4-bromoheptane the bromine is attached to a different carbon.

Functional group - same atoms but in different functional groups eg you might have propanal and propanone both of which have exactly the same atoms but different functional groups

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Helped to hear it worded differently

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A good wallpaper for revision! (thanks herothing11)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    I have 9 days to revise unit 2 law chemistry and biology :'((( x
    omfg that must be a killer;[ i feel your pain wish you the best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    (AQA AS CHEM 2)
    Anybody got some notes/help on extraction of metals please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
Views: 145
Size:  156.7 KBHi guys I have a CCEA problem, kinda hoping one of you could help me out?

Okay so thats the stimulus of the question. On the next page it asks "explain why the sulphuric acid must be added cautiously with stirring".

So I was thinking first because it might be a very reactive....reaction. You know, to dull down any explosions, purely because that got me marks in GCSEs. But now I'm thinking it might be because you dont want to add excess acid, so you get just the right amounts of reactants? Is that right or am i missing some really obvious answer?

Danke in advance!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how to do q5 of the edexcel unit 2 june 2014?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allysid123)
    anyone know how to do q5 of the edexcel unit 2 june 2014?
    Primary alcohol can be oxidised to carboxylic acid. The only primary alcohol is D.
    A is secondary
    B is secondary
    C is tertiary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie-3)
Views: 145
Size:  156.7 KBHi guys I have a CCEA problem, kinda hoping one of you could help me out?

Okay so thats the stimulus of the question. On the next page it asks "explain why the sulphuric acid must be added cautiously with stirring".

So I was thinking first because it might be a very reactive....reaction. You know, to dull down any explosions, purely because that got me marks in GCSEs. But now I'm thinking it might be because you dont want to add excess acid, so you get just the right amounts of reactants? Is that right or am i missing some really obvious answer?

Danke in advance!
    the reaction is highly exothermic therefore the reactants aare combined slowly to avoid the release of too much heat energy which could damage the apparatus

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain what determines elimination or substitution?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.