Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Guys please help me, I can't seem to name any thing. I can't name one single thing, I find it so hard to find a pattern with how to name so and so and now I'm going over esterification and esters. Naming things has been a nightmare, people have explained but I still don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    For naming esters, the way I do it is the is somthing-anoate is always the carboxylic acid with the something-anoic acid on the end because both the ends are weird. For the first part which is something-thyl, it will always be whatever else your reacting, for example, if you react propanoic acid and ethanol in the presence of an H2SO4 catalyst, the organic product will be ethyl (since ethanol is the other thing or alcohol) propanoate (because propanoic acid is the carboxylic acid).

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to declare in advanced that I am utterly ****ed for my Chemistry exam this afternoon. Sigh, better start preparing for retakes next year :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thymolphthalein)
    Wouldn't that be nucleophilic substituition, if it was a nucleophilic attack?

It would come from the side that the halogen is not on.

Elimination is when halogenoalkanes undergo a reaction with NaOH(or another alkali) to form an alkene, Sodium Halide and water.
    I didn't mean attack I mean like this sorry can't explain..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  494.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    when we purify aluminium why do we put ticl4 in an argon atmosphere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashiekh)
    when we purify aluminium why do we put ticl4 in an argon atmosphere?
    To prevent side reactions I think

Edit: just checked to prevent side reactions with oxygen and nitrogen in air

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwillettsxxx)
    To prevent side reactions I think

Edit: just checked to prevent side reactions with oxygen and nitrogen in air
    thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean attack I mean like this sorry can't explain..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  494.8 KB
    Ah yeah, that is elimination. I think your arrows are correct, we were never taught to draw the mechanism for it.

But the equation is correct.
    It would form an alkene and Water and Halide ion (from the salt I mentioned earlier)

If there are unsymmetrical haloalkanes, it can form isomeric alkenes because you can shift the double bond.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, that is elimination. I think your arrows are correct, we were never taught to draw the mechanism for it.

But the equation is correct.
    It would form an alkene and Water and Halide ion (from the salt I mentioned earlier)

If there are unsymmetrical haloalkanes, it can form isomeric alkenes because you can shift the double bond.

I do AQA, maybe u do OCR or something that's why you don't have to draw it maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovereading)
    I would just like to declare in advanced that I am utterly ****ed for my Chemistry exam this afternoon. Sigh, better start preparing for retakes next year :L
    I'm going to fail like completely and utterly FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA, maybe u do OCR or something that's why you don't have to draw it maybe?
    Yeah, Edexcel.

Found this on chemguide though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Edexcel.

Found this on chemguide though.
    Thank u! Yep that's how I do it, thank god lol

ReputationRep:
    Same. It's so sad that I can't even do the basics...
    I've already prepared to drop Chemistry at AS, there's no way I can take this in A2 while re-sitting AS papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    I've already prepared to drop Chemistry at AS, there's no way I can take this in A2 while re-sitting AS papers.
    I am so glad people on TSR feel the same! it makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing we can empathise with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    If you've studied then there's no reason to panic, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad people on TSR feel the same! it makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing we can empathise with each other.
    No worries, I wish you the best with today.
    I know I'm getting an U or an E if I'm lucky but I'm not going to give up. I wish I had worked harder throughout the year in terms of practice and organisation. But like I had said previously, if you have studied you'll be fine and I mean that. Anxiety can sometimes make us feel worse than the situation really is, I know because I deal with anixety all the time but after I realise it wasn't as bad.

ReputationRep:
    :sad: And I cant even say that my unit 1 chemistry paper might compensate because I KNOW I failed that. Its the worst because it took me ages to convince my Chemistry teacher to predict me an A for this med course I was applying to (didnt get it anyway) and in the most recent mock I also got an A so getting a D/C will literally depress me so much especially the disappointment...

ReputationRep:
    :sad: And I cant even say that my unit 1 chemistry paper might compensate because I KNOW I failed that. Its the worst because it took me ages to convince my Chemistry teacher to predict me an A for this med course I was applying to (didnt get it anyway) and in the most recent mock I also got an A so getting a D/C will literally depress me so much especially the disappointment...
    If everyone did horribly the grade boundaries will be lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    I know, I'm sitting here doing a past paper getting a D HOURS before the exam. It sucks more seeing as I wanted to get an A AND I wanted to continue this onto A2. So I probably will have to resit AS and take A2 :sad:

ReputationRep:
    If everyone did horribly the grade boundaries will be lower.
    I doubt everyone did as horribly as me. I couldn't even do a BASIC hess's law question!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.