Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnLE)
    Hey guys I know it's a big jump from GCSE to A-Level but will any of the gcse help withe basics of a level chemistry?
    Yep, GCSE Chemistry does help understand A-Level Chemistry. Parts of A-Level (many parts in AS according to what I am aware of) are extensions to GCSE Chemistry - alkanes, alkenes, enthalpy (and enthalpy change), bonding, empirical and molecular formulae, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    Aaah, I know you. You're the one on the Year 12 Chat thread whose got AS and A2 exams next year right?

Humanities are good for certain skills like investigative and planning skills otherwise....they are really really really long and at times boring as well....
    Yep, aspiring chemist, hopefully
    Good Luck with Medicine, don't let anyone discourage you
    Yup that's me! It's fair to say that I will feel no stress this year whatsoever

Aha I won't, my sights are firmly set Good luck with Chemistry!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madmatician)
    I'm on OCR A too

I've finished Unit 1 and started Unit 2 a few weeks ago.
    How you finding Unit 2 at the moment, is it harder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noshahmad)
    Hey,

Nah i'm here but I don't post as frequently
    How are you?
    I'm good A levels are ok so far..except Biology...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabella~)
    Hiya, I'm doing OCR B
    Hey!

(Original post by Dinaa)
    X
    I'm on OCR A

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas! :elefant:

I shall bestow upon you all a present! :mmm:

A Chemistry question:

Well, this isn't really an exam question, but a question from me to help myself, in the future!
    There was a Percentage Yield question:

"A student reacted 6.4g of Copper(ll) oxide with excess Sulphuric Acid, and obtained 14.7g of blue Copper Sulphate Crystals. Calculate the Yield."

Ok, the thing is I know how to answer it, and got the correct answer of 73.6%.
    However, because it is Copper Sulphate Crystals, the formula for that would be CuSO4.5H2O

My question is, why how do you calculate/know how many H2O molecules are incorporated within the Lattice?
    For example, it could be 4H2O's/2/3/... :angelblush:
    Or is this something I just need to know? That Copper Sulphate Crystals are CuSO4.H2O?
    But what if, in other questions, they ask and how am I suppose to know the number of H2O molecules for a different salt?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Merry Christmas! :elefant:

I shall bestow upon you all a present! :mmm:

A Chemistry question:

Well, this isn't really an exam question, but a question from me to help myself, in the future!
    There was a Percentage Yield question:

"A student reacted 6.4g of Copper(ll) oxide with excess Sulphuric Acid, and obtained 14.7g of blue Copper Sulphate Crystals. Calculate the Yield."

Ok, the thing is I know how to answer it, and got the correct answer of 73.6%.
    However, because it is Copper Sulphate Crystals, the formula for that would be CuSO4.5H2O

My question is, why how do you calculate/know how many H2O molecules are incorporated within the Lattice?
    For example, it could be 4H2O's/2/3/... :angelblush:
    Or is this something I just need to know? That Copper Sulphate Crystals are CuSO4.H2O?
    But what if, in other questions, they ask and how am I suppose to know the number of H2O molecules for a different salt?

Thank you!
    to work out the H2O, I think you need to know it's mass or at least the mass of CuS04.

so you'd are given say 20% cuso4, that means you have 80% h20.
    Then you divide cuso4 and the h20 by it's Mr value. So 80/18 for h20.

then you divided each other by the lowest value.
    Which should tell you how much h20.

I know this is a rubbish explanation and probably wrong but I guess it's better than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi im doing aqa and empa. My school doesn't do the isas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnLE)
    Hey guys I'm in year 10 and am hoping to do chemistry for A Level, I'm doing double science in GCSE and am at a grade B+/A- right now which is very good because I'm only in year 10 I want to ask how chemistry is at a level and what advantages does it have for further education. Also does it include a lot of maths?
    Chemistry is great! Follows on from gcse well so I'd advise trying for an A* in it at gcse just so you knkw you're in a good possition- but that's deffinately not necessary
    Advantages... Well it's respected and is needed/useful for most/all STEM subjects.
    Rearange equations, that's about it so far, i doubt they'll have us resolving forces/using trig any time soon :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNoobishKnight)
    to work out the H2O, I think you need to know it's mass or at least the mass of CuS04.

so you'd are given say 20% cuso4, that means you have 80% h20.
    Then you divide cuso4 and the h20 by it's Mr value. So 80/18 for h20.

then you divided each other by the lowest value.
    Which should tell you how much h20.

I know this is a rubbish explanation and probably wrong but I guess it's better than nothing!
    Hmm, not given a mass, so I don't know :s

Thanks tho, If i'm given a mass i'll know what to do

ReputationRep:
    I do Edexcel AS Chemistry as well!
    Didn't expect chemistry to be this good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCMFM16)
    Biology is much harder this year. Its so detailed and there is so much more memorisation

What other A Levels did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Biology is much harder this year. Its so detailed and there is so much more memorisation

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I'm thinking of dropping Maths for A2. Also i do the EPQ which our entire year were made to do.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Hmm, not given a mass, so I don't know :s

Thanks tho, If i'm given a mass i'll know what to do
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help lol.

I find biology a2 much easier than biology for AS.
    The thing that has always caught me out is the wording of the questions -_-.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing OCR salter chemistry and would be more than happy to help granted I've learnt the content myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Isabella~)
    Hiya, I'm doing OCR B
    We're all on the same exam board :awesome:

Just started unit 2 with ions and stuff
    How you two finding the course so far? either of you donr the mock yet?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I'm thinking of dropping Maths for A2. Also i do the EPQ which our entire year were made to do.:confused:
    I'm guessing you want to Medicine. Those are a difficult set of A Levels you're doing. We do the EPQ after our AS exams are over, mostly over the summer.

(Original post by TheNoobishKnight)
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help lol.

I find biology a2 much easier than biology for AS.
    The thing that has always caught me out is the wording of the questions -_-.
    What exam board are you on for biology? Exactly, the content has nothing got to do with the questions and our school gives up past papers every single end of unit test and I always do terrible I need to work on my exam technique

(Original post by lyricalvibe)
    We're all on the same exam board :awesome:

Just started unit 2 with ions and stuff
    How you two finding the course so far? either of you donr the mock yet?
    I've finished Elements of Life and most of Developing fuels and Elements of the sea, we have two teachers so they split up the content. I find Chemistry fairly easy, I heard horror stories how Salters is the hardest exam board but its okay. My mocks are in February

How are you finding the course so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you want to Medicine. Those are a difficult set of A Levels you're doing. We do the EPQ after our AS exams are over, mostly over the summer.
    My school have made us start now. I'm actually interested in dentistry hopefully at Queen Mary's. I really want to go to university in London. My mum used to live there and she went to UCL for her BA and then did her PHD at City. She say's its way better than Nottingham.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

What exam board are you on for biology? Exactly, the content has nothing got to do with the questions and our school gives up past papers every single end of unit test and I always do terrible I need to work on my exam technique

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Biology content is ok but the actual papers are so annoying sometimes. Its the examination technique which is the problem...

I do the same examination board as Nosha for Biology so understand how it feels. Irregardless of how well I know the content, I seem doing terribly because of those data questions

ReputationRep:
    My school have made us start now. I'm actually interested in dentistry hopefully at Queen Mary's. I really want to go to university in London. My mum used to live there and she went to UCL for her BA and then did her PHD at City. She say's its way better than Nottingham.
    Yeah that sounds good. My sister went UCL and she says its amazing. I'm having a life crisis where I don't know what I want to study and where I want to study :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Hello AS Chemistry TSRians!

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread, where students doing AS Chemistry, post/ask questions, and we could all help each other out?

Teaching another person, also helps you become more confident and you both develop a better understanding. I know there is an A-level chat thread already, but this should be for learning!

There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away and hopefully, you'll find someone who can help you

I shall also make a list of the Chemistry students, and what exam board they're all on! So please post what exam board you are on, if you are in!

List of the students doing Chemistry!

Spoiler:
    Show

Lovely helpers!

Spoiler:
    Show

I apologize if I've missed anyone out, got the list from Current year 12 list! (Lazy i know) :mmm:

P.S- If you don't want to, okay, you are not obliged to do so! But please, no rude/offensive comments

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:
    You can add me as a helper, I'm doing A2 AQA.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.