(Original post by SubwayLover1)
    any tips for the titration practicals??
    Read from the bottom of the miniscus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalal Uddin)
    Also chemistry jokes.

Which bear dissolves?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a chemistry coursework coming up based on observations. I have already carried the practical out - reaction of halogens. I've got the follow up paper that gies with it next and wanted some help on the type of questions that may come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Which bear dissolves?
    Polar bear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Nope it's definitely Bronze Silver Gold. It's the standard three levels of achievement (used in Olympics, hence Olympiad too). You're right that Copper is in the same group, but Copper (with Tin) is a constituent of Bronze.

You're possibly getting confused with the C3L6 challenge, where Copper and Roentgenium are used as they lie in the same group as Silver and Gold! (Rg is the highest award, there's also Entry before Cu)

Additionally, I remember you saying you were due to sit the Olympiad today, how was it? Must have been exceptionally difficult for an AS student, so I hope you didn't give up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I think I am getting confused then

Didn't I say next week Thursday? Since I'm the only student in the school doing the Olympiad, I have to do during one of my free periods and lunch
    I've been looking at the Chemistry Olympiad past papers though, and they are really difficult

Have you done the Olympiad yet or are you yet to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I'm doing OCR AS

How many assessed practicals have people done, I've done 1 qual 1 quant?
    1 qual, 2 quant, 2 eval

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with my chemistry observation coursework please????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    Yeah I think I am getting confused then

Didn't I say next week Thursday? Since I'm the only student in the school doing the Olympiad, I have to do during one of my free periods and lunch
    I've been looking at the Chemistry Olympiad past papers though, and they are really difficult

Have you done the Olympiad yet or are you yet to do it?
    Ah my bad, sorry. I'm doing it next week as well

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Got 104/120 UMS on my Chem Unit 1 mock, yaaaaaaaay

(Original post by jshep000)
    n1 bro
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Good luck
    It's running until next week?! I did the Olympiad paper over a week ago!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Good luck
    Good luck to you Dylann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    It's running until next week?! I did the Olympiad paper over a week ago!
    Yep, many people are doing it even the week after (week beginning 9th). You better keep your mouth closed then (or rather, restrict your fingers!)

Although, I would like to ask some innocent questions

Out of curiosity, how many marks was it out of? Some years it has been 80+ but usually around 60.

How did you/your friends find it?

Feel free to decline answering the questions , but I hope you found it okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshep000)
    Well done, that is excellent. For the real exam try to get as high UMS as you can type in WPM (i.e, 120!!!)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep, many people are doing it even the week after (week beginning 9th). You better keep your mouth closed then (or rather, restrict your fingers!)

Out of curiosity, how many marks was it out of? Some years it has been 80+ but usually around 60.

How did you/your friends find it?

Feel free to decline answering the questions , but I hope you found it okay
    I've got a vague feeling that it was out of 70-75 marks but honestly I can't remember. It's hard (obviously) but I thought it was a fun paper. The Chemistry Olympiad is probably my favourite Olympiad, they always have really interesting questions. I somehow got a Silver in Year 12 so I'm hoping for a Gold this year but obviously there's no way of knowing. I'm not doing this competitively, it's just a bit of fun so I didn't really do any preparation Good luck next week though!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a vague feeling that it was out of 70-75 marks but honestly I can't remember. It's hard (obviously) but I thought it was a fun paper. The Chemistry Olympiad is probably my favourite Olympiad, they always have really interesting questions. I somehow got a Silver in Year 12 so I'm hoping for a Gold this year but obviously there's no way of knowing. I'm not doing this competitively, it's just a bit of fun so I didn't really do any preparation Good luck next week though!
    Did you put the silver on your UCAS/personal statement whichever one it is,or not bother?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    Did you put the silver on your UCAS/personal statement whichever one it is,or not bother?
    I did actually! I didn't go on about it but I did put my Physics Challenge and Chemistry Olympiad results on one line.

ReputationRep:
    A silver in AS is really, really impressive. Well done. I didn't do it last year, so this is my first time . Hoping for a silver/gold..but I don't know how well I will perform under the pressure...my tactic is to just drive through the paper, attacking as many questions as I possibly can (but I will spend more time on the first questions as they tend to be easier and dont want to lose silly marks). I will also find out which questions carry the most marks and try to complete them too (sort of why I was asking about the amount of marks). I'm not sure if I will do the organic synthesis at the end or nearer the beginning, as it's very time consuming. Probably will depend on how many marks it's worth!

I've been revising organic today, and will probably do some acid/base and redox over the weekend...make sure I know the shapes of molecules etc...

I really hope the organic section is more "draw the product of this step" rather than listing reagents and conditions...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A silver in AS is really, really impressive. Well done. I didn't do it last year, so this is my first time . Hoping for a silver/gold..but I don't know how well I will perform under the pressure...my tactic is to just drive through the paper, attacking as many questions as I possibly can (but I will spend more time on the first questions as they tend to be easier). I will also find out which questions carry the most marks and try to complete them too (sort of why I was asking about the amount of marks). I'm not sure if I will do the organic synthesis at the end or nearer the beginning, as it's very time consuming. Probably will depend on how many marks it's worth!

I've been revising organic today, and will probably do some acid/base and redox over the weekend...make sure I know the shapes of molecules etc...

I really hope the organic section is more "draw the product of this step" rather than listing reagents and conditions...
    Pressure is definitely a problem, I suffer badly under it. I decided to not look at the clock when I did it which definitely helped. You just do as much as you can do in the time. It's probably worth flicking through the paper to work out which questions you like the look of the most, the first question isn't necessarily the easiest. I always do best in the physical chemistry questions so I'd always attack those first.

Anyway, best of luck! We should probably stop discussing this because you're already tempting me to spill details!

ReputationRep:
    Pressure is definitely a problem, I suffer badly under it. I decided to not look at the clock when I did it which definitely helped. You just do as much as you can do in the time. It's probably worth flicking through the paper to work out which questions you like the look of the most, the first question isn't necessarily the easiest. I always do best in the physical chemistry questions so I'd always attack those first.

Anyway, best of luck! We should probably stop discussing this because you're already tempting me to spill details!
    Physical chemistry is definitely my favourite too and okay sorry, no more shall be asked

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.