Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    I hate these drawing questions http://gyazo.com/347ea8636b70bd8cd64df98ea70316c6 What do I draw??
    u r right, they r hard nd confusingly complicated.

ReputationRep:
    I did CCEA chemistry to A level, so I'm here to help ^^

ReputationRep:
    Easter holidays coming up currently doing aqa as chem, wanna make a timetable to stick to, any suggestions for how i should do it + any general revision tips

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    Easter holidays coming up currently doing aqa as chem, wanna make a timetable to stick to, any suggestions for how i should do it + any general revision tips

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make a timetable and stick to it. Do plenty of past papers and get into good exam habits.
    For example,say you got a question on ionisation energies across the period.
    First you will highlight the command word,and see the number of marks.This will give you an idea how to answer the question.
    You would write out beside the questions the keywords atomic radius,number of protons, nuclear attraction and electron shielding. As you answer the question you will tick off the words to make sure you havent left any of the key factors out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make a timetable and stick to it. Do plenty of past papers and get into good exam habits.
    For example,say you got a question on ionisation energies across the period.
    First you will highlight the command word,and see the number of marks.This will give you an idea how to answer the question.
    You would write out beside the questions the keywords atomic radius,number of protons, nuclear attraction and electron shielding. As you answer the question you will tick off the words to make sure you havent left any of the key factors out.
    Yh thats exactly what im doing except mentally lol im fairly confident with unit 1 so ill be focusing on unit 2 mainly but thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bit of halides help required. This topic is a bit of a ****.

Right so the reaction with sodium iodide and and sulphuric acid.

Is it NaI(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO2(s) + HI(g)

Is this an acid-base reaction.

Is the redox reaction:

2HI + H2SO4 -- > I2 + SO2 +2H20?

I don't get the next step what happens after. Something about it reacting with SO2?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How would I name this?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How would I name this?
    3-ethylpentan-3-ol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyRik)
    3-ethylpentan-3-ol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does the 3 come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does the 3 come from?
    Where the ethyl and alcohol groups are situated on the carbon chain.

ReputationRep:
    Need help with question 1

Is BF3 - Trigonal planar as it has 3 electrons in it's outer shell and each flourine bring one. Which makes the angle 120 degrees.

I said that BF4- would be tetrahedral. The boron has gained an electron so now it has got 4 electrons around it's outer shell with the addition of four more from the flourine. No lone pairs so 109.5 degrees.

Not too sure on b. Like normally the answer to these questions are dative covalent bond. Which means I have misunderstood something about the ion.

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone done the ocr chemistry A quantitative on enthalpy it my only and last chance to get a decent grade, so if i could get some hints and tips that would be very much nice of anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erfanullah)
    Hi has anyone done the ocr chemistry A quantitative on enthalpy it my only and last chance to get a decent grade, so if i could get some hints and tips that would be very much nice of anyone
    Are you sure it's quantitative? I've done the evaluative on enthalpy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Are you sure it's quantitative? I've done the evaluative on enthalpy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah im sure bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erfanullah)
    Yeah im sure bro
    Hmm don't know then, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done JANUARY 2010 f322 ocr? Question 6g..... How can you tell using the mass spectrum whether the alcohol is propan-1-ol or propan-2-ol? surely they wouldn't show up as any different because a CH3+ fragment ion can form for both of them? Please helppppppp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous1111)
    Anyone done JANUARY 2010 f322 ocr? Question 6g..... How can you tell using the mass spectrum whether the alcohol is propan-1-ol or propan-2-ol? surely they wouldn't show up as any different because a CH3+ fragment ion can form for both of them? Please helppppppp
    Propan-1-ol is a primary alcohol, whereas Propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol. By identifying the organic product F produced via the oxidation of substance E using the infrared spectroscopy given to you, you can determine what type of alcohol E is, and so choose between the two.

This is because primary alcohols produce a different organic compound to secondary alcohols when oxidised in the presence of acified potassium dichromate. Primary alcohols produce aldehydes and then carboxylic acids, but secondary alcohols produce ketones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjames)
    Propan-1-ol is a primary alcohol, whereas Propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol. By identifying the organic product F produced via the oxidation of substance E using the infrared spectroscopy given to you, you can determine what type of alcohol E is, and so choose between the two.

This is because primary alcohols produce a different organic compound to secondary alcohols when oxidised in the presence of acified potassium dichromate. Primary alcohols produce aldehydes and then carboxylic acids, but secondary alcohols produce ketones.
    Thank you so much! Is that the only way you could distinguish between them? there's no way you would know without the infrared spectrum shown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous1111)
    Thank you so much! Is that the only way you could distinguish between them? there's no way you would know without the infrared spectrum shown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure there's no way, but I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Need help and guidance on how O would work this put.Please help.
    Attached Images

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.