Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzie2)
    GUYS! Halp me get better at balancing equations, I always miscount or something stupid and drop marks for it even though they are easy marks :O
    balance using oxidation states, the same amount of electrons are being lost as those which are being gained, and you can work out the number of moles of each compound from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    C0balt and I are going to push the grade boundaries high lol
    Eh how come XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Eh how come XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aren't you retaking it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clovers)
    Hahaha, OOoooops .... As for now though im okay with everthing, apart from hess's law calculations and equilibria do you have any tips on those?
    Here are my notes on Hess' Law and Hess Cycles, hope they help, if you can't read any parts let me know and I can type them up.

Edit: Would appreciate some feedback on the notes, just to see if they're missing out on anything. I do international as chem so I sat my unit 1 in January (and wrote that before the exam) and I'm not sure if I've missed out anything there.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeryLastMinute)
    Here are my notes on Hess' Law and Hess Cycles, hope they help, if you can't read any parts let me know and I can type them up.

Edit: Would appreciate some feedback on the notes, just to see if they're missing out on anything. I do international as chem so I sat my unit 1 in January (and wrote that before the exam) and I'm not sure if I've missed out anything there.
    Well you're missing out enthalpy of atomisation, mean bond enthalpies, enthalpy of hydration, enthalpy of solution, lattice enthalpy
    But yeah what you done so far is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you retaking it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it's my first time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    Srs? Cmon that's common sense, not even chemistry really

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Than
    ks.
    I thought I could ask for help without humilition.I guess I was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Than
    ks.
    I thought I could ask for help without humilition.I guess I was wrong.
    its fine dude, if you need help just ask, you'd rather understand every tiny detail before the exam than risk it come up and not knowing how to go about answering it...

ReputationRep:
    No it's my first time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh nvm then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well you're missing out enthalpy of atomisation, mean bond enthalpies, enthalpy of hydration, enthalpy of solution, lattice enthalpy
    But yeah what you done so far is good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it depends what exam board you are my specification doesn't cover enthalpy of atomisation, hydration or lattice enthalpy.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you actually understand what the definitions are on about
    rather than just memorising them, it helps
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeryLastMinute)

Thankyou, it hasd made certain elements a lot clearer

ReputationRep:
    guys....I genuinely do not understand Hess's Law cycles AT ALL.

I've tried and tried....

How did you guys manage to wrap your heads around it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me why some salts are soluble in water while others such as lithium fluoride are not?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesday_adams)

I've tried and tried....

After a couple of questions it clicked in
    Leave it a couple of days and come back, a fresh mind does wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys revising for chemistry? Lots of people are telling me to do past papers but I've done some and they aren't improving my grade

ReputationRep:
    After a couple of questions it clicked in
    Leave it a couple of days and come back, a fresh mind does wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks, that is good advice. i might keep coming back to it with a different mind set until i finally get it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantellerose)
    How are you guys revising for chemistry? Lots of people are telling me to do past papers but I've done some and they aren't improving my grade
    I recommend making really condensed notes for everything, a bit like this (except for chemistry). It works for me
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

I've tried and tried....

I've never really understood the point of drawing those diagrams, I find it easier to just reverse one of the equations to get the products on the right side etc. But you need to remember to flip the sign of the \Delta H

ReputationRep:

I've tried and tried....

Don't worry, at AS level as long as you remember the specific equations for whether you have formation or combustion data you will be fine, I remember my teacher saying you could rely on them alone. Although at A2 you will have to have an understanding about it, however it should make more sense at that point in A2.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.