Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnyboy1)
    I'm on OCR, you're on Edexcel right?
    Yep, hardly anyone here does Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel as well. There isn't a huge amount of difference between edexcel and other courses apart from a few small things like having to know sn1 sn2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    Yep, hardly anyone here does Edexcel
    Really I thought quite a lot of people would be doing Edexcel. I did hear that it's a tough exam board tho but I guess if you understand the content it won't be too hard
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Really I thought quite a lot of people would be doing Edexcel. I did hear that it's a tough exam board tho but I guess if you understand the content it won't be too hard
    It is a tough exam board, we learn things in AS, AQA learn in A2 like Born-Haber cycles.

But I guess you're right though

ReputationRep:
    They have a habit of putting fairly obscure questions in exams unfortunately (eg one year for 6 marks you had to circle the problems with a distillation set up and they were all tiny things like the thermometer bulb is too high). Its especially annoying as I ideally need at least a 95% ums average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is a tough exam board, we learn things in AS, AQA learn in A2 like Born-Haber cycles.

But I guess you're right though
    I've never heard of that lool, only Haber I remember is Haber process from last year. OCR is quite a pleasant exam board, although some questions may not be straightforward, it's still not that hard tbh
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that lool, only Haber I remember is Haber process from last year. OCR is quite a pleasant exam board, although some questions may not be straightforward, it's still not that hard tbh
    yeah
    Edexcel Chemistry is just so difficult
    Guess so, Edexcel do that a lot too though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    They have a habit of putting fairly obscure questions in exams unfortunately (eg one year for 6 marks you had to circle the problems with a distillation set up and they were all tiny things like the thermometer bulb is too high). Its especially annoying as I ideally need at least a 95% ums average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that does seem like a relatively onerous exam board but after hearing that thank God I'm doing OCR

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    I wouldn't worry too much, your notes are of a high grade anyway so I don't see why you wouldn't do well. But good luck to you tho!

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    I didn't know Edexcel chemistry was harder!?
    I thought AQA was worse (I do physics with AQA) - they have like 6mark long writing question and no multiple choice lol
    I checked Edexcel physics and it looked much better without the 6 marker and with multiple choice lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I do edexcel as well. There isn't a huge amount of difference between edexcel and other courses apart from a few small things like having to know sn1 sn2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is SN1 SN2? I do Edexcel Chemistry so this is embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I thought AQA was worse (I do physics with AQA) - they have like 6mark long writing question and no multiple choice lol
    I checked Edexcel physics and it looked much better without the 6 marker and with multiple choice lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AS Edexcel chemistry is not hard, the boundaries were high af last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdizzle97)
    sN1 means 1 chemical species involved in the slow rate determining step.
    sN2, 2 ". ". "

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much, your notes are of a high grade anyway so I don't see why you wouldn't do well. But good luck to you tho!
    I don't know Its just so difficult in the exam sometimes

(Original post by C0balt)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, Edexcel Chemistry is harder. I know someone who did AQA Chemistry and she retook different A-Levels and came to the sixth form I'm in and told me that she didn't have to learn half the things we learnt and stuff Like Born Haber cycles.
    They learn Hess' Law and most Organic Chemistry in Unit 2 We learn that stuff in Unit 1
    MCQ is actually hard if you think about it, a lot of students mess up because they panic or because of the way the questions are worded
    Edexcel Physics might be different I guess

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think your notes are cutting edge and as an A2 student that has done AQA there isn't a major difference in the topic. by the way i love nucleophillic addition and mechanisms as a whole

ReputationRep:
    Lol actually just looked at an Aqa chemistry paper, edexcel one is much "harder"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah ur right but why is edexcel harder is the grade boundaries lower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockinhana)
    yeah ur right but why is edexcel harder is the grade boundaries lower
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20130523.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdizzle97)
    Sn1 is when the leaving group leaves first then the nucleophile attacks the carbon (Favoured for secondary and tertiary)

Sn2 is when the nucleophile attacks the central carbon first, there is then a transition state where both the nucleophile and the leaving group are bonded to the carbon. The leaving group then leaves. (Favoured for primary)

ReputationRep:
    i take it back for unit 1 thats insane imagine how a2 edexcel chemistry is.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.