The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dylann
Does anyone know why or when Dinaa (thread starter) got banned?

Almost definately due to something provocative :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Wtf lol when are these exams?
I'm not expected go back until like 24th June

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're expected to go back on the 8th of June and m2 and c3 are in that week and s2 is a couple of weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
We're expected to go back on the 8th of June and m2 and c3 are in that week and s2 is a couple of weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sucks and is very weird :frown:
So you're starting A2 in those lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Wow, that sucks and is very weird :frown:
So you're starting A2 in those lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It makes no sense we do like 3 weeks of a2 then an EPQ that isn't an EPQ (we just have to do one but there's no qualification)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes no sense we do like 3 weeks of a2 then an EPQ that isn't an EPQ (we just have to do one but there's no qualification)

Posted from TSR Mobile

EPQ without qualification...What a waste of time lol Well, after exams why not, but during exam period..:facepalm:
I hope you don't get any homework

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
EPQ without qualification...What a waste of time lol Well, after exams why not, but during exam period..:facepalm:
I hope you don't get any homework

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the EPQ will be after exams are over. I think we just do one for people to write on UCAS but I already have plenty of stuff to write about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the EPQ will be after exams are over. I think we just do one for people to write on UCAS but I already have plenty of stuff to write about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh fair enough
We've got Uni preparation stuff after exams too
What have you done so far then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh fair enough
We've got Uni preparation stuff after exams too
What have you done so far then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hopefully going to be doing some work experience at UCL this summer, went to the national final of the UK space design competition, maths and physics challenges, played basketball for England last year and a few other things

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hopefully going to be doing some work experience at UCL this summer, went to the national final of the UK space design competition, maths and physics challenges, played basketball for England last year and a few other things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool
Never heard of space design competition! Will check it out
I've done maths challenge but my school doesn't do chemistry or physics, which is a shame - I quite enjoy those
I'm doing a work experience too. Whats yours on? Mine is towards biological which isn't the most relevant thing to me but meh, I couldn't get anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh cool
Never heard of space design competition! Will check it out
I've done maths challenge but my school doesn't do chemistry or physics, which is a shame - I quite enjoy those
I'm doing a work experience too. Whats yours on? Mine is towards biological which isn't the most relevant thing to me but meh, I couldn't get anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I get in its a week with the UCL condensed matter and material physics research team so should be interesting. The space design competition was good fun. In a team of 50 you have 24 hours to meet the brief (we had to fully design a ship that could transport 8,500 people between earth and Mars). Unfortunately we didn't win but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I get in its a week with the UCL condensed matter and material physics research team so should be interesting. The space design competition was good fun. In a team of 50 you have 24 hours to meet the brief (we had to fully design a ship that could transport 8,500 people between earth and Mars). Unfortunately we didn't win but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh that sounds fun. I'm doing two and tried hard to find physics one but ended up with both biological :dontknow:
24h is really short time :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Ohh that sounds fun. I'm doing two and tried hard to find physics one but ended up with both biological :dontknow:
24h is really short time :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you're expected to work through the night (and we did). Everything has to be meticulous as you have to answer questions from real NASA employees and some academics. If you win 12 of your team get to go to Houston in the summer for the international final. Anyway I'm going to sleep feel free to ask anything else and I'll answer when I wake up lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep you're expected to work through the night (and we did). Everything has to be meticulous as you have to answer questions from real NASA employees and some academics. If you win 12 of your team get to go to Houston in the summer for the international final. Anyway I'm going to sleep feel free to ask anything else and I'll answer when I wake up lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Impressive
I just read the website and it said the presentation is next day, I wouldn't be able to answer any question properly after being awake and using my brain for 24h+ lol
Good night:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinaa
Hello AS Chemistry TSRians!

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread, where students doing AS Chemistry, post/ask questions, and we could all help each other out?

Teaching another person, also helps you become more confident and you both develop a better understanding. I know there is an A-level chat thread already, but this should be for learning!

There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away and hopefully, you'll find someone who can help you :biggrin:

I shall also make a list of the Chemistry students, and what exam board they're all on! So please post what exam board you are on, if you are in!

List of the students doing Chemistry!

Spoiler

Lovely helpers!

Spoiler

Hello all! Just a quick reminder and message from our lovely helpers:

When asking a question, please try to include all relevant information, which should mean you are given assistance quicker. And also, try to include what you have already attempted/tried to do(though a lot of people do this already).

Thank you very much! :hugs:

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Hi, I am doing Edexcel AS. Hope that can help.
AS chemistry- Edexcel

Lovely helpers!

Spoiler

Hello all! Just a quick reminder and message from our lovely helpers:

When asking a question, please try to include all relevant information, which should mean you are given assistance quicker. And also, try to include what you have already attempted/tried to do(though a lot of people do this already).

Thank you very much! :hugs:

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:
Reply 1535
hi
can any tell me how i can monitor the progress of a reaction with zinc carbonate??
and any experimental hazards they are in the reaction??
much appreciated
Original post by HToo
hi
can any tell me how i can monitor the progress of a reaction with zinc carbonate??
much appreciated

Change in concentration/time?
What is it reacting with?
Original post by HToo
hi
much appreciated

What's it reacting with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1538
What's it reacting with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

sulfuric acid
Original post by HToo
sulfuric acid

Well the easiest way would be to add the zinc carbonate until it no longer 'dissolves' (in reality it reacts but that would be the observation). Since zinc carbonate is insoluble when there is excess there will be visible zinc carbonate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest