Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Yep you're expected to work through the night (and we did). Everything has to be meticulous as you have to answer questions from real NASA employees and some academics. If you win 12 of your team get to go to Houston in the summer for the international final. Anyway I'm going to sleep feel free to ask anything else and I'll answer when I wake up lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Impressive
    I just read the website and it said the presentation is next day, I wouldn't be able to answer any question properly after being awake and using my brain for 24h+ lol
    Good night

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Hello AS Chemistry TSRians!

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread, where students doing AS Chemistry, post/ask questions, and we could all help each other out?

Teaching another person, also helps you become more confident and you both develop a better understanding. I know there is an A-level chat thread already, but this should be for learning!

There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away and hopefully, you'll find someone who can help you

I shall also make a list of the Chemistry students, and what exam board they're all on! So please post what exam board you are on, if you are in!

List of the students doing Chemistry!

Spoiler:
    Show

Lovely helpers!

Spoiler:
    Show

Hello all! Just a quick reminder and message from our lovely helpers:

When asking a question, please try to include all relevant information, which should mean you are given assistance quicker. And also, try to include what you have already attempted/tried to do(though a lot of people do this already).

Thank you very much! :hugs:

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:
    Hi, I am doing Edexcel AS. Hope that can help.

ReputationRep:
    AS chemistry- Edexcel

[/SPOILER]
    Lovely helpers!

Spoiler:
    Show

Hello all! Just a quick reminder and message from our lovely helpers:

When asking a question, please try to include all relevant information, which should mean you are given assistance quicker. And also, try to include what you have already attempted/tried to do(though a lot of people do this already).

Thank you very much! :hugs:

:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    hi
    can any tell me how i can monitor the progress of a reaction with zinc carbonate??
    and any experimental hazards they are in the reaction??
    much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    hi
    can any tell me how i can monitor the progress of a reaction with zinc carbonate??
    much appreciated
    Change in concentration/time?
    What is it reacting with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    hi
    much appreciated
    What's it reacting with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    What's it reacting with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sulfuric acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    sulfuric acid
    Well the easiest way would be to add the zinc carbonate until it no longer 'dissolves' (in reality it reacts but that would be the observation). Since zinc carbonate is insoluble when there is excess there will be visible zinc carbonate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with some half equations.

Like what is the method:

'When chlorine gas is bubbled into an aqueous solution of sulfur dioxide, hydrogen ions, sulphate ions and chlorine ions are formed'.

I) Write a half-equation for the formation of chloride ions from chlorine

Ii) write a half equation for the formation of hydrogen ions and sulfate ions from sulphur dioxide and water.

Ii) Hence deduce an overall equation for the reaction which occurs when chlorine is bubbled into aqueous sulfur dioxide.

I) write chlorine is diatomic so I was thinking Cl2+ 2e- --> 2Cl-?

Ii) not a clue can someone explain these to me thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    sulfuric acid
    Hazard is that sulfuric acid is corrosive so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    Change in concentration/time?
    What is it reacting with?
    its a thermal decompostion process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    The concentration of the ZnCO3 will still change though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    Didn't you just say it was reacting with sulfuric acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The concentration of the ZnCO3 will still change though?
    yeah its meant to decrease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Didn't you just say it was reacting with sulfuric acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah im sorry my mistake, its with thermal decompostion:angelblush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    yeah its meant to decrease
    So you could measure the change in concentration per unit time to measure the rate of reaction at regular intervals.
    Or you could measure the increase in concentration of one of the products.

ReputationRep:
    So you could measure the change in concentration per unit time to measure the rate of reaction at regular intervals.
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    ZnCO3 + H2SO4---> ZnSO4 + CO2 +H2O

You put a capillary tube on top of a conical flask which leads into a beaker on water with a measuring cylinder upside down in water and collect the amount of CO2 per unit time.
    Then you draw a concentration against time graph and measure the half life to deduce the order of the reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HToo)
    ok thanks
    For thermal decomposition of zinc carbonate the standard method is just a delivery tube from the test tube going into another test tube with limewater

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    ZnCO3 + H2SO4---> ZnSO4 + CO2 +H2O

You put a capillary tube on top of a conical flask which leads into a beaker on water with a measuring cylinder upside down in water and collect the amount of CO2 per unit time.
    Then you draw a concentration against time graph and measure the half life to deduce the order of the reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You shouldn't use that method with CO2 because it is quite soluble in water.
    You should use a gas syringe

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.