Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    You shouldn't use that method with CO2 because it is quite soluble in water.
    You should use a gas syringe
    you should because you can write that as a limitation for the next question

ReputationRep:
    What are the disadvantages and advantages of biofuels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heffalump .)
    Pros: can be carbon neutral which can reduce co2 emissions and global warming, some biofuels will work with existing tech.

Cons: many use crops/land that would otherwise be used for human consumption that will push prices up for food, costs money and energy to build the processing plants, new engines in some cases etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heffalump .)
    advantages:
    - carbon neutral - biofuels are made out of living things which took in co2 whilst they were growing so when you burn them youre just releasing this co2
    - cheaper than fossil fuels
    - renewable - plants can be planted again and again whereas fossil fuels eventually run out

disadvantages:
    - food shortages- using farmland to grow biofuels means less farmland to grow crops
    - produces lower energy

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question guys...

Is E/Z isomerism the only stereoisomerism we need to know?

Cheers, Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xetter)
    Just a quick question guys...

Is E/Z isomerism the only stereoisomerism we need to know?

Cheers, Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're doing edexcel you need to understand when you use e/z and when you can use cis/trans as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just realised I had forgot to mention my exam board... I'm on OCR sorry Thanks anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just realised I had forgot to mention my exam board... I'm on OCR sorry Thanks anyway!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    OCR B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidfeo)
    OCR B?
    If this book is OCR B then yes! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    If you're doing edexcel you need to understand when you use e/z and when you can use cis/trans as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought they were the same thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They essentially are but you can only use cis trans if the two groups you are describing are the same (eg cl on either side) not if they are different (eg ch3 on one side c2h5 on the other)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They essentially are but you can only use cis trans if the two groups you are describing are the same (eg cl on either side) not if they are different (eg ch3 on one side c2h5 on the other)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So E/Z and Cis/Trans isomerism are the only types of stereoisomerism right?

ReputationRep:
    So E/Z and Cis/Trans isomerism are the only types of stereoisomerism right?
    They're the only ones for edexcel but there are other types

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    " state two essential conditions used for the extraction of aluminium from aluminium oxide "

anyone?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, thanks

My teacher marked me down for writing "dimethyl propane" when naming a structure because it should have been "2,2-dimethyl propane". However I thought it was redundant to name it that. I checked the markscheme and actually the "2,2" was in parentheses so it wasn't necessary to write it. I want to check again with people here though whether it is better to include the numbers or not for a three carbon main chain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    Ok, thanks

My teacher marked me down for writing "dimethyl propane" when naming a structure because it should have been "2,2-dimethyl propane". However I thought it was redundant to name it that. I checked the markscheme and actually the "2,2" was in parentheses so it wasn't necessary to write it. I want to check again with people here though whether it is better to include the numbers or not for a three carbon main chain
    I agree you shouldn't need the 2,2. My guess would be that your unlikely to lose marks for superfluous components of names in this situation but I don't really know (wiki has both names)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree you shouldn't need the 2,2. My guess would be that your unlikely to lose marks for superfluous components of names in this situation but I don't really know (wiki has both names)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe it is just a preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    Maybe it is just a preference.
    It probably is but they should definitely allow both answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no other way of arranging dimethylpropane so there is no reason why you should be marked down for not putting 2, 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If this book is OCR B then yes! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahahah, I think that's OCR A

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.