Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Ah that's great, what course are you going for?

You've got the right attitude.
    Physical natural science. Chemistry and Further maths are probably the subjects I need to work to the most on to ensure my ums average is 95+ so that I have a good chance of getting an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basma Rahman)
    As said earlier, because the reaction itself Is slow and volatile, so we need to speed it up without boiling it off.
    Which is what I said XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I got 40/40. The practicals are really quite easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dayum
    I got 39/40 lol dropped mark for something in salt prep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with these questions.

For 5f. The 5+ ions has 28 electrons so originally it had 33. Unless I have mucked up part 5e I don't see anything in group 2 with 33 electrons. If I have messed up part e can someone explain that.

The bit about CMM.
    The equation I got was CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O
    Not entirely sure about the bit about the risk of explosion being less if percentage of CMM is greater than 15%. I just wrote some crap about possibly incomplete combustion no idea why. Can someone explain that to me.
    Not too sure with the last bit I just said it would contribute to global warming.

6b the one with methanol.
    The equation I got was CH3SH+ 3O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O + SO2.
    Not 100% sure with that.

With the next part of sulfur and calcium oxide. I wrote some crap about it can neutralise it?

Last part I just said it produces SO2 and CO2. CO2 = greenhouse gas so global warming SO2 can lead to acid rain. Not sure on that one either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    Can someone help me with these questions.

For 5f. The 5+ ions has 28 electrons so originally it had 33. Unless I have mucked up part 5e I don't see anything in group 2 with 33 electrons. If I have messed up part e can someone explain that.

The bit about CMM.
    The equation I got was CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O
    Not entirely sure about the bit about the risk of explosion being less if percentage of CMM is greater than 15%. I just wrote some crap about possibly incomplete combustion no idea why. Can someone explain that to me.
    Not too sure with the last bit I just said it would contribute to global warming.

6b the one with methanol.
    The equation I got was CH3SH+ 3O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O + SO2.
    Not 100% sure with that.

With the next part of sulfur and calcium oxide. I wrote some crap about it can neutralise it?

Last part I just said it produces SO2 and CO2. CO2 = greenhouse gas so global warming SO2 can lead to acid rain. Not sure on that one either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    The CH3SH equation is correct. CaO reacts with SO2 to form CaSO3. The environmental problem is correct too.

With the 5+ ion question, it doesn't have to be in group 2. It is a different question. When the letter changes the questions are not necessarily connected, it's connected when it's like a(I) and a(II). Arsenic has 33 electrons and forms 5+ ion.

I'm not sure about the explosion bit. I'm guessing the same thing as you said? Not sufficient oxygen or something :dontknow:
    And methane is indeed a greenhouse gas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Just wondering how you got full marks on your practicals mine are next week I'm so nervous about them especially distillation, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTextbooks)
    Hey, Just wondering how you got full marks on your practicals mine are next week I'm so nervous about them especially distillation, thanks in advance
    I think he does edexcel and edexcel wasn't about distillation
    Edexcel practicals are easier I think (I did them). AQA seem to have done carbonate decomposition which is harder than any of my three practicals with edexcel - I did that carbonate practical as a part of lesson

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel too what was required for your practicals? We have to do 3 practicals followed by questions.

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel too what was required for your practicals? We have to do 3 practicals followed by questions.
    I'm pretty sure I can't give specific details and anyway there are a number of different practicals you can do. One thing I will say is that if you can you should avoid the titration one (I didn't do it but I heard that last year lots of people lost marks for their titre not being accurate enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh there are so many then lol
    I didn't have distillation. I had one salt preparation, one enthalpy change and two ion tests (better mark used)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Oh there are so many then lol
    I didn't have distillation. I had one salt preparation, one enthalpy change and two ion tests (better mark used)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Organic observation was easier imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Organic observation was easier imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We hadn't done any organic chapter when we did the practicals so we had no choice.
    Is it like functional group test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We hadn't done any organic chapter when we did the practicals so we had no choice.
    Is it like functional group test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep you just had to learn the organic tests in the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep you just had to learn the organic tests in the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I guess at least I didn't have to smell the horrible organic chemicals :lol: I got full mark for inorganic observation so meh.
    I don't know what I could do instead of the salt prep where I lost a mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We are doing titrations, ion tests and distillation and I actually prefer titrations most out of all three but I guess we are pretty unlucky since we got the worst selection of practicals oh well I guess it's only 20%ish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess at least I didn't have to smell the horrible organic chemicals :lol: I got full mark for inorganic observation so meh.
    I don't know what I could do instead of the salt prep where I lost a mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have to do a preparation either of a salt or some organic substance I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have to do a preparation either of a salt or some organic substance I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably salt is easier then
    I can't think of preparing anything other than the reflux sort of stuff which is horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably salt is easier then
    I can't think of preparing anything other than the reflux sort of stuff which is horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I reckon salt would probably be easier. Unfortunately for you the ums is so ridiculous that 39/40 is only 56/60

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I reckon salt would probably be easier. Unfortunately for you the ums is so ridiculous that 39/40 is only 56/60

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Waddafaq
    I might redo that lol (I don't think I'd get a higher mark in organic prep though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Waddafaq
    I might redo that lol (I don't think I'd get a higher mark in organic prep though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah 37/40 is an A. Its pretty worrying that 1 mark on the practical can cost you 1% of your as course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.