Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee .. ♥)
    I cancelled it down to C and D because they're insoluble.. right? Idky though :/

So is it polar? Um, yes?
    Yes they are insoluble. This is because water molecules are bonded by hydrogen bonding which is strongest of the three intermolecular forces. If 1-bromobutane was to bond with water molecule the strong hydrogen bond between water must be broken which requires energy. When bromo bonds with water, it will release energy but it will only have dipole dipole attraction and dispersion force, which are weaker than the original hydrogen bonds and so not as much energy is released as was used to break the hydrogen bond. Therefore 1-bromobutane is pretty much insoluble in water - it is too endothermic

And 1-bromobutane is indeed polar. Although by a little Bromine is more electronegative than carbon which makes the bromine atom slightly negative. Therefore when a charged rod is approached the stream is deflected

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Not so much notes I just get asked so many questions about different things. Last year I got added to 17 Facebook group chats during the exam period haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha
    My school doesn't even have as many people to make 17 group chats lol
    I love helping with questions that's why I'm lurking around in this thread all the time but that's not making me make notes :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Hahaha
    My school doesn't even have as many people to make 17 group chats lol
    I love helping with questions that's why I'm lurking around in this thread all the time but that's not making me make notes :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's also annoying that if anyone ever beats me in a test they'll brag for like a month which can get really frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's also annoying that if anyone ever beats me in a test they'll brag for like a month which can get really frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well certain people anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My friends don't brag and they really get competitive to beat me lol I'm happy to be their motivation source but a bit uncomfortable lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friends don't brag and they really get competitive to beat me lol I'm happy to be their motivation source but a bit uncomfortable lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's this one guy who I've beaten in literally every test this year apart from one and he still brings it up. When he does I just remind him of some of his awful physics answers such as 'the electron volt is the amount of energy in one electron volt' and on a show that question he got like 24 instead of 10 and just writes 'close enough' next to the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's this one guy who I've beaten in literally every test this year apart from one and he still brings it up. When he does I just remind him of some of his awful physics answers such as 'the electron volt is the amount of energy in one electron volt' and on a show that question he got like 24 instead of 10 and just writes 'close enough' next to the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL
    Thats aactually quite funny, although I'd imagine its annoying in your position

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    Thats aactually quite funny, although I'd imagine its annoying in your position

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just saying he got 99% and I got 98% so its not like he did massively better but that doesn't stop him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Trust me, I KNOW that from 2 people.
    Just get better grades than them and move on. If they bring it up, then own their asses. I remember a guy who always said he will kill me in GCSEs, then I got almost all As and he never even got a single A, and after that, he has kept his mouth shut :P.

ReputationRep:
    Just saying he got 99% and I got 98% so its not like he did massively better but that doesn't stop him

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahahahahaha that's like not even one mark lol

In last physics unit 1 mock a guy got better mark than me and he smiled at corner of his mouth
    In lunch time I went to get my mock and it turned out they added my marks wrong , and in fact I got 100% UMS so higher than the guy
    Told the guy, and it was hilarious how he said "oh of course" with a face as though his dream of becoming a footballer or something was crushed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The point of doing notes IMO is actually making the notes so people who get someone else's notes are missing out in their revision tbh. (Well better than nothing obviously)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not true. I hardly ever make my own notes, and I often get higher marks than the person who's made them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Not true. I hardly ever make my own notes, and I often get higher marks than the person who's made them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe if you made your own notes you'd get higher marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are other factors affecting it obviously
    What I'm saying is when it's to do with notes the process of making notes is the biggest learning process rather than reading it; I'm not saying making note is the only way. You getting better grade have so many factors; your intelligence compared to others for instance, or how much you pay attention in class

In fact I don't make notes at all and I get better mark than anyone else in class so it's like saying my point is wrong lol which isn't the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you made your own notes you'd get higher marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah I doubt it. I can't even read my own writing.

There are other factors affecting it obviously
    What I'm saying is when it's to do with notes the process of making notes is the biggest learning process rather than reading it; I'm not saying making note is the only way. You getting better grade have so many factors; your intelligence compared to others for instance, or how much you pay attention in class

In fact I don't make notes at all and I get better mark than anyone else in class so it's like saying my point is wrong lol which isn't the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I see what you're saying.
    I've never found note making that useful tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah I doubt it. I can't even read my own writing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    RIP the examiners marking HAnwar's paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    RIP the examiners marking HAnwar's paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL that's what my teacher says!
    She always tells me she feels sorry for the person who's got to mark it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL that's what my teacher says!
    She always tells me she feels sorry for the person who's got to mark it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel even more sorry for the people who have to mark mine. .my handwriting is pretty bad when I write fast and I write so much that I write 2 lines per line they give me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the June 2014 aqa unit 1 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm you can ask me about physics AQA but don't ask me for what came up in the ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i wasn't asking about the ISA, i think you misunderstood what i was asking but its fine

ReputationRep:
    Really stuck on balancing equations with the H+ and H2O .. if anyone can explain I'd be soooo grateful

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.