Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    how please explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hum1)
    how please explain
    How you can work out how many isomers there are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grapes12)
    It is AQA and it is on titrations. (AS level)
    Make sure you know group 2 metals well too if it is the second isa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyWarkup)
    Make sure you know group 2 metals well too if it is the second isa
    It is the second ISA. What do I need to know about them? I didn't realise they fit into titrations except for Mg being the antacid tablet but everyone knows that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Cobalt there is an easier way if you're prepared to do a but of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've googled before but never found anything useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is the second ISA. What do I need to know about them? I didn't realise they fit into titrations except for Mg being the antacid tablet but everyone knows that
    On the outline it said amount of substance and group 2, we have the paper tomorrow and apparently it has identifying group 2 compounds from how they react

ReputationRep:
    You could be made to do back titration. You could be asked about percentage purity of the tablet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I've googled before but never found anything useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It just requires you to think about it. If you take the example of C8H17Cl. There are four different isomers you can get from a straight carbon chain for this case. There are then 3 different ways you could make a methyl heptane each of which would have another 4 isomers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the outline it said amount of substance and group 2, we have the paper tomorrow and apparently it has identifying group 2 compounds from how they react
    Yeah my paper is tomorrow too, my teachers never mentioned anything about group 2 though. Urgh. Do you have any notes I could look at?

You could be made to do back titration. You could be asked about percentage purity of the tablet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have no idea what back titrations are, I missed a whole pile of lessons due to personal reasons so really I am going into this blind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    It just requires you to think about it. If you take the example of C8H17Cl. There are four different isomers you can get from a straight carbon chain for this case. There are then 3 different ways you could make a methyl heptane each of which would have another 4 isomers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but thats not very easy way as in plug numbers into formula and voila
    And then you have to base them on number of isomers of octane or whatever alkane which doesn't have formula to work out number of isomers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys done f322 past papers? What scores did y'all get

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but thats not very easy way as in plug numbers into formula and voila
    And then you have to base them on number of isomers of octane or whatever alkane which doesn't have formula to work out number of isomers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its easier than drawing the 30+ isomers this most likely has

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what back titrations are, I missed a whole pile of lessons due to personal reasons so really I am going into this blind
    Determining mass of Mg(OH)2 in antacid tablet through titration etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my paper is tomorrow too, my teachers never mentioned anything about group 2 though. Urgh. Do you have any notes I could look at?

We have done the practical and it is fine, the instructions on the sheet are easy to follow

ReputationRep:
    We have done the practical and it is fine, the instructions on the sheet are easy to follow
    I did the practical today, it was good. Its the paper im stressing about

ReputationRep:
    Determining mass of Mg(OH)2 in antacid tablet through titration etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So that's moles x mr right?

ReputationRep:
    I did the practical today, it was good. Its the paper im stressing about
    search www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk and go onto AQA Chemistry then AS Chemistry then go on to 3.2.6 and click on the link at the top of the page for group 2 notes, i use these because i have a useless teacher for some of it, including everything the isas have been on

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's done the titrations isa ? Holla at me i will be able to help you with the thermal decomposition of Zinc carbonate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous-97)
    Anyone who's done the titrations isa ? Holla at me i will be able to help you with the thermal decomposition of Zinc carbonate
    Oi fam

Why you cheating for

Shall i report you to the exam board so they can disqualify you

Do you really want that to happen :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So that's moles x mr right?
    Yes but not directly
    You would react the tablet with known amount of excess HCl. Mg OH)2 would react with HCl. Now then titrate the unreacted HCl with NaOH, from which you can reduce the number of moles of HCl unreacted. Now you can find the amount reacted with Mg(OH)2 by subtracting, then you can multiply Mr by n to work out the mass of Mg(OH)2 in the tablet. You can then be asked about percentage purity if you were given the mass of entire tablet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.