Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Could any one help me find examination centres where I could resit my A levels?

I need to resit Maths (Edexcel) and Chemistry/Physics (both OCR)

Ideally, I would like to find a centre in Birmingham, but I have heard that it's likely that I'll need to travel farther to find a centre.

Also are there no centres that charge at about £30 per module?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ok - this is not going to be easy - the only centre in Birmingham I know are http://www.englishandmaths.com/exami...e-assessments/
    also only do AQA practical and are expensive!

Do you need to resit the practical elements of your chem/physics or can you just do the written papers? it will depend on how poor your practical marks were last time)

If you can get away with just doing the written papers they may also let you sit there but it s £99 per module- which is going to work out a lot!

This place ( Coventry) aren't any cheaper but may be able to help you redo the practical elements if that is really needed ( at a large price)
    http://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-ce...-and-deadlines

If you can escape the practical part it is a good idea to ring local colleges for the written papers and see if they can better those prices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinyflame)
    Hello,

Ideally, I would like to find a centre in Birmingham, but I have heard that it's likely that I'll need to travel farther to find a centre.

Thank you

I know a few in London but they are expensive

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you
    I prersume that you have asked your previous centre very politely if you can re-sit there? It is likely to be by far the cheapest and easiet place to arrange it, if they will let you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkb1955)
    Ok - this is not going to be easy - the only centre in Birmingham I know are http://www.englishandmaths.com/exami...e-assessments/
    also only do AQA practical and are expensive!

Do you need to resit the practical elements of your chem/physics or can you just do the written papers? it will depend on how poor your practical marks were last time)
    I pretty much need tor resit my whole A2's for all my A levels?
    (I have C grades for all my AS levels)

My practicals (for A2) had horrible results (e's mostly). I tried to work out how much I could improve my grades by only resitting my exams, and it seemed that I could barely make a B overall, even if I got A's in all my A2 exams?
    It seems that unless I resit my practicals, I would realistically get C grades overall for my science A levels?

While maths is absolutely no problem, since it's only exam based, so I can always achieve an A overall if I do it right?

If you can get away with just doing the written papers they may also let you sit there but it s £99 per module- which is going to work out a lot!
    I know, the cheapest one I have found so far is like £80 per module?

This place ( Coventry) aren't any cheaper but may be able to help you redo the practical elements if that is really needed ( at a large price)
    http://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-ce...-and-deadlines

If you can escape the practical part it is a good idea to ring local colleges for the written papers and see if they can better those prices
    I will try that too, thank you so much

Also, a whole A level has 600 UMS total overall right?
    So science and maths should have the same amount of UMS in total (600)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I prersume that you have asked your previous centre very politely if you can re-sit there? It is likely to be by far the cheapest and easiet place to arrange it, if they will let you.
    Last time I asked my college they told me that I couldn't resit my exams there as an external candidate, but I will send a new email just to be sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I know a few in London but they are expensive
    , which ones though?

ReputationRep:
    , which ones though?
    these are 3 that some of my students have used in the past

PDF.pdf

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, unless your old college will let you resit the practical elements there, it is going to be a very expensive exercise. It might work out cheaper to resit the written AS papers and the A2 written papers for the sciences - would that not bring your grades up enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    these are 3 that some of my students have used in the past

PDF.pdf
    Ahh, I have emailed two of these colleges and I am waiting for a reply (due to xmas and all), and I will email the other one too.

Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I have emailed two of these colleges and I am waiting for a reply (due to xmas and all), and I will email the other one too.

Thank you though
    my pleasure

ReputationRep:
    Also, a whole A level has 600 UMS total overall right?
    So science and maths should have the same amount of UMS in total (600)?
    Yes, 600 for each. (on the upside, the practicals are only worth 60 each)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 600 for each. (on the upside, the practicals are only worth 60 each)
    Alright, I think I used the wrong ucas conversion.

I always thought 1 raw mark = 1.5 ucas points, but I didn't realize that they change this every time?

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I think I used the wrong ucas conversion.

I always thought 1 raw mark = 1.5 ucas points, but I didn't realize that they change this every time?
    UCAS points have nothing to do with this, you mean UMS. The conversion varies with every exam, every exam season and across the range of marks - you can find the required conversion by looking at the exam board websites.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points have nothing to do with this, you mean UMS. The conversion varies with every exam, every exam season and across the range of marks - you can find the required conversion by looking at the exam board websites.
    What the hell?
    I seriously meant UMS points, I am quite startled how I overlooked it, my mind probably went blank when I was typing.
    Yeah I meant UMS, thank you bro

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.