Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I think that public transport is giving me anger issues Watch

Don't remember being like this in the past, but over the past year, after having moved to a capital city, I seem to turn into a monster when using transport, especially during peak hours.
    If I get on the train and see people staring at me, I just give them evil looks. Last week, an older man put his hand on top of mine and then licked his lips in a sexual manner. I looked at him in the most menacing way I could and then just shook my head.
    Then, another older man sitting opposite stared at me in a pervy way for an entire 20-minute journey, so when I got up, I asked him if he wanted a ****ing photo.
    I find myself getting so angry at people stopping in the middle of the path and expecting everyone to walk around them.
    Recently, a girl tried to shove me a little out of the way so she could get to the train quicker, so I told her to 'calm herself'.
    I just find myself tutting, huffing and puffing and barging through, but I'm not like this in reality. I also hate being stared at, and I want to ask these people what the hell they're looking at,
    Do I have issues, or are others like this?I don't have a driving licence, and couldn't afford to buy/run a car anyway. Do I need to try to calm down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't remember being like this in the past, but over the past year, after having moved to a capital city, I seem to turn into a monster when using transport, especially during peak hours.
    If I get on the train and see people staring at me, I just give them evil looks. Last week, an older man put his hand on top of mine and then licked his lips in a sexual manner. I looked at him in the most menacing way I could and then just shook my head.
    Then, another older man sitting opposite stared at me in a pervy way for an entire 20-minute journey, so when I got up, I asked him if he wanted a f****ng photo.
    I find myself getting so angry at people stopping in the middle of the path and expecting everyone to walk around them.
    Recently, a girl tried to shove me a little out of the way so she could get to the train quicker, so I told her to 'calm herself'.
    I just find myself tutting, huffing and puffing and barging through, but I'm not like this in reality. I also hate being stared at, and I want to ask these people what the hell they're looking at,
    Do I have issues, or are others like this?I don't have a driving licence, and couldn't afford to buy/run a car anyway. Do I need to try to calm down?
    Of course you haven't got an issue. I completely get where you're coming from- whenever I go on public transport there will be something that annoys me and I huff a lot, however, like you, I'm not like that naturally. So you are not the issue here.
    Unfortunately things like staring and stopping in the middle of the road are not gonna change, or probably not anyway. Its more just a case of adapting to that and not letting it get to you. After all, these are daily hassles- you're not gonna be procrastinating about them in years to come, are you?
    From what you're saying I don't even think any of this is to do with anger. Try not to blame yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go to London I find I end up far more angry/aggressive than I usually would be. More than once I have had to restrain myself from pushing someone back or giving them an ear full. It's a normal human reaction I think: most methods of public transport in busy places go completely against human nature. The Underground for instance- humans shouldn't be confined in tiny places 50 metres underground in tunnels hurting along at speeds of 50mph with no sunlight and poor quality air. That's sound to have an impact on temperament even in the most patient of people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.