Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Society looks down upon men who want to sleep around after 35 or thereabouts. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this true? Does it assume that if men are still living the bachelor lifestyle by 35-40+ then there is something wrong with them?

The word "immature" is bandied around a lot, as if settling down and marrying is the sign of maturity.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it sure does.

You wont catch a US President without a first lady. It's almost as if a S/O shows a stable personal life which one is meant to have.

will be interesting in the next 100 years to see if any gay politicians can become president.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    yeah it sure does.

You wont catch a US President without a first lady. It's almost as if a S/O shows a stable personal life which one is meant to have.

will be interesting in the next 100 years to see if any gay politicians can become president.
    I actually think the opposite.

I see a leader without a wife someone who is a workaholic. And for a president he must be very a hardworking person that works hard to serve the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    I actually think the opposite.

I see a leader without a wife someone who is a workaholic. And for a president he must be very a hardworking person that works hard to serve the people.
    Or a hard-working person who works hard to serve vested interests. Presidents particularly are mostly figureheads anyway, if anything the more workaholic they are the worse they are, because they start buggering around with systems built up over decades just for something to do.

But yes, a wife is essential. As a figurehead, you have to show you understand the silent majority. I would be very surprised if there hadn't been a gay president; like gay kings centuries ago, he'd probably get married to a woman as a cover story, or for mutual economic benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Yep society as whole would probably look down on a 37 year old man who still enjoys one night stands.
    Societal norms an expectations are so damn annoying for everyone and in reality regular individual people don't seem to give that much of a **** so it's annoying we all still feel the need to fit into tiny boxes.

With the men having to be the main breadwinner, always doing the asking out, proposing to the woman, having to be strong and show no "weak" emotions whilst at all times keeping up his masculinity enjoying football and beer.

And women having to be chaste and innocent and pure, raising children or else she is selfish to have children (and she has to have children or else she must be defective and not a real woman) and having to look pretty at all times.

This **** hurts us all and it makes us unhappy.

It's ridiculous the vast majority of people do not actually think like this in such a clear cut manner, so why do we feel we have to still follow these standards or else we are failures? It makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration sometimes

edit: sorry for the rant

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.