Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Suppose somebody is in the situation where they have no idea what they want to do in the future. All they know is that they are extremely passionate about one subject: History, say. They also have a keen interest - but not a passion - in Physics.

In this event, should they invest £27,000 in a degree in History, a subject in which they are passionate, or invest the same money in a degree in Physics, something that has more demand and prospects?

Should they follow their heart or their head

EDIT: Suppose this declared passion was in Latin, not History. Would your opinion change?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    Suppose somebody is in the situation where they have no idea what they want to do in the future. All they know is that they are extremely passionate about one subject: History, say. They also have a keen interest - but not a passion - in Physics.

In this event, should they invest £27,000 in a degree in History, a subject in which they are passionate, or invest the same money in a degree in Physics, something that has more demand and prospects?

Should they follow their heart or their head?
    Your degree is what you make of it. If you love History, do History. You can get plenty of jobs with a History degree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might be slightly biased here towards anything science-based haha, but I'd really think about the career prospects that either one can offer you, but obviously you don't want to spending a lot of time and money on something you're not really commited to :/ If you feel you can get a decent job at the end of the subject you're passionate about, definitely go for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Your degree is what you make of it. If you love History, do History. You can get plenty of jobs with a History degree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would you say that about any degree?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that about any degree?
    To a point . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Head. Prospects is everything in today's job market.

(Original post by Mr Wrong)
    ...in retail or mopping up toilets in lavish eateries such as McDonalds. :rofl:
    Great one mate, Gordon Brown graduated with a degree in History and he became Prime Minister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Great one mate, Gordon Brown graduated with a degree in History and he became Prime Minister

Oh well if Gordon Brown did it... Give me a break. And since when was becoming prime minister the benchmark for ordinary people?

Ps. I was joking with my comment lol okay maybe semisrs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsies)
    Even at the risk of not enjoying your course, affecting your grade in your final year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    To a point . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where would you draw the line?

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Suppose this declared passion was in Latin, not History. Would your opinion change?
    I'd probably take the one chance in my life to plough my time and energy into something I love.

I did that (linguistics), and although it certainly would have made getting a good job tougher than my prior choice (engineering) I don't regret it. I did it at a better university than I could otherwise have done, and got better results than I otherwise would have done. And I spent three years loving what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I'd probably take the one chance in my life to plough my time and energy into something I love.

I did that (linguistics), and although it certainly would have made getting a good job tougher than my prior choice (engineering) I don't regret it. I did it at a better university than I could otherwise have done, and got better results than I otherwise would have done. And I spent three years loving what I did.
    How did this affect your job after employment? Did you convert to engineering or pursue a linguistics-related career? Or did you do something different entirely?

ReputationRep:

Its more like £47,000 when you add in maintence costs. Only you can decide if 3 years enjoying what you like is worth £47,000 and a harder time getting a job and with significately lower pay if you do get one.

Personally, I would suggest you go for history but thats only because it reduces competition for jobs for other grads who actually like physics.

ReputationRep:
    How did this affect your job after employment? Did you convert to engineering or pursue a linguistics-related career? Or did you do something different entirely?
    I went into law, so it affected my job significantly. I questioned my choice of degree at several points, but ultimately I did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't enjoy what you are studying you are likely to get a poor degree result - and have an unhappy three years at Uni.

Advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...sing_a_subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsies)

And your experience of the adult job market is what exactly?

ReputationRep:

Heart. Then again, any job would be better than the dead end one I'm in now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go with your heart. I'm fairly sure I don't exist solely to go into the job market, so I might as well have some fun doing something I love, rather than trying to create some kind of odd life plan. One that is tailor made to get me a job I probably won't like, which may earn me a lot of money, but otherwise will probably be tough and make me miserable.

ReputationRep:
    I cheated in that my heart and head were in the same place. They both wanted to do physics
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

This is a difficult one. It really depends on what you want to do afterwards. In reality, there isn't a particularly big demand for physics degrees themselves, it's rather that physics graduates display a lot of skills such as numeracy, problem solving and analytical skills that employers across a wide range of industries seek. However, a lot of physics graduates go into the type of jobs that a history graduate could have also been offered.

Do you intend to go into something technical or mathematical when you graduate?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.