Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:

Without drawing a sketch, how would you find out if this is even or odd? I mean without the sketch, via calculations, f(2pi) = f(-2pi) suggesting that it is an even function.. But that isn't the case?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The function f(x)=x2 is even for all values of x because (-x)2 = x2, so f(t) is even

The graph is misleading as it is not t2
    according to the graph:
    f(1) \neq f(-1) therefore function is not even
    f(1) \neq -f(-1) therefore function is not odd
    therefore function is not even or odd

ReputationRep:
    If you restrict the domain to 0 \le t \le 2\pi, then y=t^2 is neither odd nor even as it's not even defined for -ve t.

However, you can create a periodic function on \mathbb{R}, by repeating the graph you have on the restricted domain, either via an odd extension or an even extension. In the picture you gave, the function has an neither an even nor odd extension since neither f(-t)=f(t) nor f(-t)=-f(t) are true.

I guess this is something to do with Fourier series?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    If you restrict the domain to 0 \le t \le 2\pi, then y=t^2 is neither odd nor even as it's not even defined for -ve t.

However, you can create a periodic function on \mathbb{R}, by repeating the graph you have on the restricted domain, either via an odd extension or an even extension. In the picture you gave, the function has an neither an even nor odd extension since neither f(-t)=f(t) nor f(-t)=-f(t) are true.

I guess this is something to do with Fourier series?
    Yes this is from a lecture on Fourier series. One thing I am confused about: if I was told to sketch f(t) = t^2, and 0<t≤2pi and I sketched the following (without repetition) would I still yield the correct answer if I deduced whether it is even or odd based on this non-repeated form?
    Attached Images

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Yes this is from a lecture on Fourier series. One thing I am confused about: if I was told to sketch f(t) = t^2, and 0<t≤2pi and I sketched the following (without repetition) would I still yield the correct answer if I deduced whether it is even or odd based on this non-repeated form?
    The question "is this function odd or even?" is not meaningful: a function which is not defined for negative values cannot be even or odd. There is no "deduce whether a function is even or odd from its restriction to [0, 2\pi]".

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.