Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

WHY GCSE's are MORE IMPORTANT than A-LEVELS Watch

ReputationRep:
    Won't they use our predicted grades? Yes, GCSEs will probably have more weight on them, but people may have changed since them and started working harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    I suppose the argument is that the deeper the content the more you have to think about it.

Every exam you do is a memory game though, as are many of the jobs people on here are gunning for. I went to Oxbridge, yeah we had to think but the base was still made up of just knowing lots of law (or history or physics or whatever).
    memory/regurgitating = 2.1
    thinking = more

That said, nobody really wants to see expansive thought at undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's vital to recognise, especially in competitive careers, the major importance of GCSEs due to the fact that so many people can apply for one course.

Hundreds or even thousands of people will apply to university with 4 As or As and Bs at AS Level, although only a small percentage will have 11A*s+ at GCSE.

That is why I think GCSEs are so important They are a good way of differentiating between clearly able pupils at AS Level, and why therefore it is so important that people work hard for their GCSEs. Whilst they may not have much of an impact on people going straight into jobs, if you want to go on to university they are a good way of 'setting you apart from the rest'!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You used to be able to do this, Oxbridge gave unconditionals to those who smashed up the entrance exam and interviews.

A very senior QC was recently regaling us with stories have his uni dai chasing girls and getting smashed with the rugby boys, his comment was 'but what did they expect from a chap with CCD at A Level?'. Though he did get a First there.

(Original post by emem2011)
    I think it's vital to recognise, especially in competitive careers, the major importance of GCSEs due to the fact that so many people can apply for one course.

Hundreds or even thousands of people will apply to university with 4 As or As and Bs at AS Level, although only a small percentage will have 11A*s+ at GCSE.

That is why I think GCSEs are so important They are a good way of differentiating between clearly able pupils at AS Level, and why therefore it is so important that people work hard for their GCSEs. Whilst they may not have much of an impact on people going straight into jobs, if you want to go on to university they are a good way of 'setting you apart from the rest'!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shut up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Shut up
    Ok and why?
    All exams are important, it's not a nice thought but unfortunately it's true!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Ok and why?
    All exams are important, it's not a nice thought but unfortunately it's true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, they are really important :yy::yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Shut up
    Seasons Greetings to you too mate.

Try not to be an utter C Unit your whole life.

ReputationRep:
    Seasons Greetings to you too mate.

Try not to be an utter C Unit your whole life.
    If I (or someone) gets 4As at AS and is predicted 4A*s at A2, if they get 40 Fs at GCSEs they'll still get into a Russell uni (considering they meet their gcse offers (usually C in maths & English)).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    If I (or someone) gets 4As at AS and is predicted 4A*s at A2, if they get 40 Fs at GCSEs they'll still get into a Russell uni (considering they meet their gcse offers (usually C in maths & English)).
    I didn't dispute that, just said Oxbridge used to give out unconditionals based on entrance exams. Given the attitude of most dons towards A Levels I imagine they'll be inclined to do the same again under a final exam system.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't dispute that, just said Oxbridge used to give out unconditionals based on entrance exams. Given the attitude of most dons towards A Levels I imagine they'll be inclined to do the same again under a final exam system.
    What grades would oxbridge expect from GCSE since there are no AS exams. Would they expect higher ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diana99)
    What grades would oxbridge expect from GCSE since there are no AS exams. Would they expect higher ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Back in the day I think it used to be purely based off their own exams. Most dons are suspicious of A Levels so I imagine GCSEs wouldn't be key once you reached interview. Central admissions might make some kind of GCSE requirement though, akin to that Oxford operate with for Med with GCSEs and BMAT.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.