Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Any rough ideas what chances would be since I am wanting to teach English particularly at A Level, but looking at studying English and Advertising at Southampton Solent next September

Although the course might suggest a 50/50 split between English and Advertising, it is actually more English Literature based with one or two modules per year covering Advertising elements, such as Marketing Communications and Brand Awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dale_b_1996)
    Any rough ideas what chances would be since I am wanting to teach English particularly at A Level, but looking at studying English and Advertising at Southampton Solent next September

Although the course might suggest a 50/50 split between English and Advertising, it is actually more English Literature based with one or two modules per year covering Advertising elements, such as Marketing Communications and Brand Awareness.
    In order to become a teacher you need to be awarded QTS after completing a post-graduate scheme. Usually PGCE is the fastest way, or TeachFirst, etc, etc. In order for you to teach A-level you'd need to do the course in age 11-18. Once you have completed this, if you just wanted to teach A-level, you would then apply at to an independent college that only teaches Level 3 qualifications.

However, since A-levels are the highest level within a school, new teachers usually wouldn't teach A-levels straight away until they know how to get the grades at KS3 and particularly at KS4. When you do your training you can try and say you really want to focus on KS5 and see what happens. When you do your placement, they might give you more KS5. But highly doubt that.

Also, it's going to be very hard for you to get A-levels as because they are new themselves this upcoming year, teachers, even experienced teachers will need to get to know how all of it works. But by the time you finish your degree they should know what works for their school and students. But every school really differs!

It doesn't matter on how much modules you take, it's all about how much the credits is worth. So each year, I have to take 60 credits in English and 60 in Ancient History. I could take Shakespeare (20), Gothic (20) and Linguistics (20). Then for my Ancient History side I could take Roman Empire (40) and then Classical Athens (20). You see what I'm saying? These all equal to 60 each side, coming up to 120 credits in total, per year. So it comes down to how much credit your modules are worth!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.