Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Am considering trying to be a barrister but am concerned about my university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As stated in the title, Law is a subject that greatly interests me and I am considering, eventually, to try and become a barrister.

Obviously I understand that it is highly competitive and also very hard work, but I would at least like to look into the possibility of doing it.

A couple of things concern me, however.

Firstly, for various reasons I didn´t get particularly good A level results. This obviously meant that I didn´t go to such a good university (I am currently in my final year at Christ Church, studying politics and International Relations).

Because Law isn´t my undergraduate, theoretically what I would have to do would be to do the LGP (Law graduate diploma), and assuming I were to pass that, study to be a barrister.

If I got a 2-1 at undergraduate and then very good grade for LGP, would my A levels and the fact I didn´t go to one of the best universities be considered as very important factors?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd strongly recommend Lawyer2B magazine!

ReputationRep:
    To be a barrister these days means having top academics. That's pretty much non-negotiable (and citing QCs who graduated with Oxford and Cambridge Thirds back before we were all born proves nothing, before someone does).

You should be aiming for a First if you can possibly get one because a 2.1 from a non-top university with mediocre A-levels is not going to make you stand out amongst hundreds if not thousands of similar candidates.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need a first, and then probably a distinction in a masters from a top uni. It is that competitive.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.