Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:

I don't understand how they got the lines circled in red? The period is 2pi so surely the lines circled in red should not be there?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)

I don't understand how they got the lines circled in red? The period is 2pi so surely the lines circled in red should not be there?
    it is because the period is 2pi
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)

I think you're right, for what it's worth: the lines which are circled in red should not be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it is because the period is 2pi

(Original post by GPODT)

correction I did not really read properly
    I read "I do not understand why the red lines should not be there"

The answer is they are NOT

which now I wonder, why did YOU put them there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

He's asking why are the lines within the red circles there, I don't think he put them there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    He's asking why are the lines within the red circles there, I don't think he put them there.
    I only ask because it is handwritten and the other day he was asking about a different question on partial differentiation and I remember his strikingly neat handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

(Original post by TeeEm)
    I only ask because it is handwritten and the other day he was asking about a different question on partial differentiation and I remember his strikingly neat handwriting.
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    I think you're right, for what it's worth: the lines which are circled in red should not be there.
    (Original post by Phichi)
    Just to clarify, my handwriting is nowhere near as neat lol. These are worked examples given to me by my lecturer. I drew red circles over the black lines that I think shouldn't be there? My question is: did my lecturer make a mistake in drawing these black lines (that I have circled in red) or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Just to clarify, my handwriting is nowhere near as neat lol. These are worked examples given to me by my lecturer. I drew red circles over the black lines that I think shouldn't be there? My question is: did my lecturer make a mistake in drawing these black lines (that I have circled in red) or am I missing something?
    I do not think there should be there ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)

you're in sixth from and doing fourier series?? which exam board is this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    clearly wrongly labelled

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is actually undergraduate Engineering Mathematics lol. AFAIK, Fourier series isn't covered at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Sorry this is actually undergraduate Engineering Mathematics lol. AFAIK, Fourier series isn't covered at A-Level.
    Lol i was thinking a lvel maths has become much harder suddenly haha. Yeah, I covered it recently too at uni

ReputationRep:
    Lol i was thinking a lvel maths has become much harder suddenly haha. Yeah, I covered it recently too at uni
    To be honest, I don't think Fourier Series is much more difficult than some of the content in FP2 or FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    To be honest, I don't think Fourier Series is much more difficult than some of the content in FP2 or FP3.
    True, not difficult really. SHould have been included in the syllabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I do not think there should be there ...
    (Original post by Smaug123)

Why have they introduced n=2k-1 ? I got the answer without doing this so is there a specific reason they have introduced k?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)

Why have they introduced n=2k-1 ? I got the answer without doing this so is there a specific reason they have introduced k?
    yes

(1 + (-1)n) alternates between 0 and 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    yes

if i'm not mistaken, odd funtion have fourier series of cosines only and even functions have fourier series with sines only?

ReputationRep:
    if i'm not mistaken, odd funtion have fourier series of cosines only and even functions have fourier series with sines only?
    the other way round

odd sine only
    even cosine only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    yes

Ah, I see why they done so though it doesn't really speed up the working out process!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Ah, I see why they done so though it doesn't really speed up the working out process!

Thanks.
    it produces a neater expression at the end

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.