Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I only got one A* - in my B4/5/6 exam. I then ruined that streak by getting a C in my B7 exam (oops), and only just about scraped an A in Biology overall.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow I thought most people completed all their GCSEs in one go? Obviously not. Did all my in year 11 but cos most of them were modular my first A* I guess was in November of year 10 and was the first exam I ever took (chemistry)

ReputationRep:
    CIE English Lang - Nov 2013

ReputationRep:
    My first A* was in all my GCSE Music coursework (had about 3 in total).

But because of my low grade in the written exam, I got an A overall.

I'm still chuffed over it, though. The proudest I'd ever been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackstah)
    My first A* was in all my GCSE Music coursework (had about 3 in total).

But because of my low grade in the written exam, I got an A overall.

I'm still chuffed over it, though. The proudest I'd ever been.
    That's amazing! I did Music and it was genuinely the hardest subject I have ever done. Think the only part I did particularly well in was the written appraisal. Got B overall so was quite pleased

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably the first Biology & Chemistry modules of Core Science... all the way back in 2009!

ReputationRep:
    Got my first A*s in my first to modules of maths in yr 9, god knows how-flunked the next year and ended up with an A overall :/
    My only final GCSE grade at A* was in History, teacher decided to put my through the course in a year and I managed to fly through the controlled essay and second year exam with about 5 hours worth of lessons on them. I just wish A-Level History was the easy.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Double Science, but my other exams let me down so I got a B overall -_-

ReputationRep:
    Three A*'s in triple science approx 5 years ago.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in my IGCSE maths mock and my maths teacher said to my parents "I doubt she'll be able to get an A, she'll be lucky if she does"
    We did our exam in November of 2010 and got the result in March- A*, with both papers over 90%. The walk home from school that day was one of the happiest walks of my life. TAKE THAT, DOUBTFUL AND UNSUPPORTIVE MATHS TEACHER

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumschpringe)
    I got a B in my IGCSE maths mock and my maths teacher said to my parents "I doubt she'll be able to get an A, she'll be lucky if she does"
    We did our exam in November of 2010 and got the result in March- A*, with both papers over 90%. The walk home from school that day was one of the happiest walks of my life. TAKE THAT, DOUBTFUL AND UNSUPPORTIVE MATHS TEACHER
    love your sig!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7589200)
    love your sig!
    Why thank you I love your... avi :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    Art coursework (somehow got 100%)
    Business coursework
    German coursework
    Product Design exam
    and a couple of my science exams.

No idea which I got first, just that I got A* in those modules didn't finish with a single overall A* though, probably due to not finishing coursework/revising or turning up to school. I was a terrible student lol

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Drama, did a crazy Sarah Kane reworking that the moderator got all wet for, very proud of that actually

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand. Unless you only got one A* at GCSE, or none at GCSE and one at A-Level, how can you have a first ever A*? Surely you get them all in one go?

I suppose you could sit a subject early and get an A* in it before any other subject, but that probably doesn't apply to most people... so what are you all talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really understand. Unless you only got one A* at GCSE, or none at GCSE and one at A-Level, how can you have a first ever A*? Surely you get them all in one go?

I suppose you could sit a subject early and get an A* in it before any other subject, but that probably doesn't apply to most people... so what are you all talking about?
    Exactly that. It's not as uncommon as you think, I started my GCSEs in year 9.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Music GCSE. I did it in just one year, in Year 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Exactly that. It's not as uncommon as you think, I started my GCSEs in year 9.
    Fair enough. I've mostly just heard of people who, though they might start learning the GCSE material from year 9 or 10 onwards, will actually sit all the exams at the end of year 11 and get their results the following August in one go.

The very few exceptions have been people who were naturally gifted at Maths and got the GCSE out of the way by age 11 or something like that. I didn't know this was common for other subjects as well. My school didn't really allow for so much flexibility in the timing.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.