Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Rush Limbaugh says Irdis Elba can't be cast as James Bond Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not really concerned with Rush Limbaugh's opinions - or those of any other random but very American media personalities...

Not too keen on having Idris or any non-white actors as Bond. Nothing against Idris Elba, very good actor, but Bond is an Englishman (please no one pipe up about him being Scottish etc... - when people say English they often mean British) of the old school - old school here referring to the time (circa 1920s - 1960s) when one might reasonably assert there was a certain amount of ethnic homogeneity in Britain and therefore Fleming's Bond is white or at least assumed to be so.

Of course in my opinion the whole series has been mucked about with so much you might as well go the whole hog and have a bisexual, black female Bond in a wheelchair set in the Star Wars universe... I mean Daniel Craig being blonde is still something that looks wrong to me. They're a little too keen on trying to be cerebral and gritty and physical (Bourne style) and "updating it"... whatever that's supposed to mean

Film and TV is always going to be conflicted over this kind of thing -

On the one hand they want to be progressive and challenge perceptions, and have loads of multi-cultural, disabled, female, LGBT types, etc...

On the other hand if you're filming something about Henry V you do have to be concerned with the look of the thing (i.e. Henry V and the knights/etc... of 15th century England probably wouldn't include many ethnic minorities in reality) because that's what the business is. You telling a story in a visual medium so how someone looks is pretty important.

ReputationRep:
    Susan Boyle would be an amazing Bond Girl, plus she could sing the theme tune.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.