Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

is there 650 seats on each side of the house of commons ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    this question only has to do with the layout of the house of commons

let's say a government won a massive majority, like 600 seats

wouldn't they be sitting basically where the opposition sits due to overcrowding ?

is there anything to prevent this situation from arising ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    this question only has to do with the layout of the house of commons

let's say a government won a massive majority, like 600 seats

wouldn't they be sitting basically where the opposition sits due to overcrowding ?

is there anything to prevent this situation from arising ?
    There are not 650 seats. The chamber is actually fairly small and can only seat 427 people. If you look at films showing the State Opening, you'll see the overcrowding issues.

ReputationRep:
    These are benches rather than seats but I don't think there's room in the whole house for 650 bottoms. When the commons is full, there seem always to be people obliged to sit on the stairs...

ReputationRep:
    ah ok

how do they decide who gets a seat,

or bench

or whatever

ReputationRep:
    ah ok

or bench

or whatever
    First come first served.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.

but members of the elected government could never sit on the left, in the opposition seats ?

ReputationRep:
    Okay.

but members of the elected government could never sit on the left, in the opposition seats ?
    Depends how big the majority is. If they had over 70% of the seats, they may have to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Other than at State Opening or maybe Prime Ministers Questions that you even get more than 20% of those elected in attendance!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally in the Canadian House of Commons (one of the few others with only opposing benches and no hemicycle) each MP has a set individual place and government MPs do have to sit on the opposition side (and vice versa during the recent minority government there).

ReputationRep:
    Technically, an MP may sit wherever he/she wants to sit - there is no rigid 'seating order'. After all, a person is elected to take *their* seat in the House, in whichever seat they fancy.
    Though, you'd likely get a summons from the Whips' Office if you sat on the opposing benches, or ministerial benches (as a totally lay MP) and refused to budge.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Legal Eagle)
    Technically, an MP may sit wherever he/she wants to sit - there is no rigid 'seating order'. After all, a person is elected to take *their* seat in the House, in whichever seat they fancy.
    Though, you'd likely get a summons from the Whips' Office if you sat on the opposing benches, or ministerial benches (as a totally lay MP) and refused to budge.
    That'd be a pretty awkward meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    That'd be a pretty awkward meeting.
    I believe it's referred to as a "career development" meeting, by those who lurk in the back corridors of the Palace.

It'd be great to happen at PMQs! Dennis Skinner refusing to move from the Treasury bench! That'd be a great sight!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's referred to as a "career development" meeting, by those who lurk in the back corridors of the Palace.

It'd be great to happen at PMQs! Dennis Skinner refusing to move from the Treasury bench! That'd be a great sight!
    Sounds like something out of the old BBC House of Cards (which I finished watching today!). :ahhhhh:

Haha, who'd dare move him :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Sounds like something out of the old BBC House of Cards (which I finished watching today!). :ahhhhh:

Haha, who'd dare move him :ahee:
    I've never seen it! I've heard it's really good, but never got round to watching it. I know how I'll be spending the next week!

True! Eric Pickles?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen it! I've heard it's really good, but never got round to watching it. I know how I'll be spending the next week!
    If you can look past the old fashioned style it is brilliant. Westminster politics made positively Shakespearean.

True! Eric Pickles?
    Don't. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Are only the chosen cabinet allowed to speak at the dispatch box ?

ReputationRep:
    ah ok

or bench

or whatever
    Musical Chairs.

ReputationRep:
    final (stupid) question

falkland islanders are not represented in the house of commons are they ? it would be funny if they were

ReputationRep:
    final (stupid) question

falkland islanders are not represented in the house of commons are they ? it would be funny if they were
    Nope, they are a British Overseas Territory so they don't get a seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Other than at State Opening or maybe Prime Ministers Questions that you even get more than 20% of those elected in attendance!
    Thank goodness we can rely on Nigel Farage at least to attend his EU committee meetings.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.