Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Was SF enough to get you through university?

Did you get a part time job? If so, where?

Would you do anything differently in retrospect? What did you learn about the financial aspect of going to university?

Seriously considering going to uni next September but 'money is an issue'.

Appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Well my sister just graduated and only had her student finances to fund her so it is enough to get you buy, if you don't be constantly spending I'm also hoping to start university next year and going to be just using SF to cover my costs even through I might have to get a part time job because london accommodation is really expensive compared to other parts of the country

ReputationRep:
    This depends entirely on how uncomfortable you are at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I'm comfortable on it. I have a part time job, but I'd be comfortable without the job too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 3rd year and I've survived pretty well on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It will completely depend on the amount of student finance you get, the city you will be living in, if you get a smaller amount of student finance if your parents can or will help you and if you can manage a job on top off uni and whether you manage to get a job at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    Well my sister just graduated and only had her student finances to fund her so it is enough to get you buy, if you don't be constantly spending I'm also hoping to start university next year and going to be just using SF to cover my costs even through I might have to get a part time job because london accommodation is really expensive compared to other parts of the country
    Hi, I've applied for University in London too, I wasn't sure if the loans were enough (£8300/£8600) to live on. Did your sister go to Uni in London?

Where have you applied? If you don't mind my asking

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joyful_soul)
    Was SF enough to get you through university?

Did you get a part time job? If so, where?

Would you do anything differently in retrospect? What did you learn about the financial aspect of going to university?

Seriously considering going to uni next September but 'money is an issue'.

Appreciate it!
    I can't stress enough how much it depends on household income- usually whichever parents or step parents you live with income if you're under 25 not married and childless. Also the course as well can sometimes make a difference. If your doing a health course like nursing you get most of the money from the NHS and they aren't as generous. However assuming you aren't then:

If household income is under 20k you'll get more than enough to live on regardless of where you are. Above 40k and its unlikely to cover all expenses. My household income was 45k and I got 5000 from the first two years. Gave me 1000 left over after rent which covered food but not anything else. Thankfully my parents helped out with the rest but had I needed to get a job I could have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It will completely depend on the amount of student finance you get, the city you will be living in, if you get a smaller amount of student finance if your parents can or will help you and if you can manage a job on top off uni and whether you manage to get a job at all.
    Just so. In London you will struggle unless you work in the holidays/ get help from your family/ are VERY lucky with accommodation. Birminghams has very expensive accommodation as do a few other places. Cardiff is so cheap that students at Bristol universities consider living there and commuting.

Part time jobs can be in bars, shops, care homes. If you are lucky you may get one at the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08hasraf)
    Hi, I've applied for University in London too, I wasn't sure if the loans were enough (£8300/£8600) to live on. Did your sister go to Uni in London?

Where have you applied? If you don't mind my asking
    I go to a London university and you will survive. As long as you budget wisely you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble_10)
    I go to a London university and you will survive. As long as you budget wisely you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers pal, it's just that everyone round here seems to think that I need at least twice as much!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    Just so. In London you will struggle unless you work in the holidays/ get help from your family/ are VERY lucky with accommodation.
    Untrue. I managed pretty well in London. It depends where in London you live. I stayed in NW, which is much cheaper than central, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Untrue. I managed pretty well in London. It depends where in London you live. I stayed in NW, which is much cheaper than central, for example.
    So you were lucky with your accommodation. You probably had help from family too. I know quite a few students in London and college staff who have to try and help when people run into financial problems - and quite a few do. The others have jobs or help from parents or both.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So you were lucky with your accommodation. You probably had help from family too. I know quite a few students in London and college staff who have to try and help when people run into financial problems - and quite a few do. The others have jobs or help from parents or both.
    Help from family - I wish! Nah, unlike most parents, they couldn't afford to to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Help from family - I wish! Nah, unlike most parents, they couldn't afford to to that.
    How often did you go out or travel (weekly)? Did you have money left over to buy new clothes and things like that? Also, how often did you eat out?

Apologies for the overload of question , its just that you can't get the answers from anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    Just so. In London you will struggle unless you work in the holidays/ get help from your family/ are VERY lucky with accommodation. Birminghams has very expensive accommodation as do a few other places. Cardiff is so cheap that students at Bristol universities consider living there and commuting.

Part time jobs can be in bars, shops, care homes. If you are lucky you may get one at the university.
    Liverpool is soo cheap

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08hasraf)
    How often did you go out or travel (weekly)? Did you have money left over to buy new clothes and things like that? Also, how often did you eat out?

Apologies for the overload of question , its just that you can't get the answers from anywhere else
    I walked mostly. Uni was within walking distance and we had a Tesco around the croner; so could just nip there if I ran out of milk, etc. Never went out like that. Went to the football most Saturdays though.

Rarely ate out. There wasn't actually a huge amount (apart from a few Jewish take aways / restraurants) of places to eat.

I did have enough money for new clothes, etc. if I did need them.

ReputationRep:
    It mainly depends on how much your rent is and where you're living. I'm at Bristol and I only get the basic maintenance student loan so no grants etc. and this is about £3600 a year. My accommodation this year alone costs almost £7000 so I can't survive on just my loan but in some places/if you can get grants it will be possible to

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? My student finance alone? No It wasn't enough to get me through Uni but I didn't get much of it in the first place and once my accommodation has gone out I'm not left with alot.
    I work two Jobs and thankfully don't have to pay for my food so it's just about okay =)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.