Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it an important factor for you? Does it make the uni much more appealing to you? If so, what exactly deems a place to have "good" accommodation? Size? En suite? Let me know, I'm curious what other people think!!!

I know that an en suite is absolutely vital for me. Well, not vital. But a very STRONG preference.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnshattock)
    Is it an important factor for you? Does it make the uni much more appealing to you? If so, what exactly deems a place to have "good" accommodation? Size? En suite? Let me know, I'm curious what other people think!!!

I know that an en suite is absolutely vital for me. Well, not vital. But a very STRONG preference.
    Accommodation is pretty important to me, even though many people are like 'you'll barely be there, you'll be out all the time' I know I'll need somewhere to relax and be able to think of as 'home'.

I was originally planning on going for the cheap-standard-shared bathroom type accommodation... But being an only child and coming from a small family, the thought of sharing a bathroom and stuff with like 11 other people (going to sound incredibly selfish right now) is something I would struggle with. It also worried me for when I got sick and stuff (which is pretty regular) as I would hate the thought of not being able to deal with it privately.

Came to the conclusion that I would rather be happy and have to pay a little extra money to be in an en-suite than be constantly on edge and worry in a standard room.

The room size comes as an added bonus IMO. I have a pretty big room atm, but I have some much stuff I don't need in it having a smaller room might be good for me to clear out some stuff!

Also, the accommodation at the uni I'm going to is pretty basic. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because I know I can work with it to make it my own; the degree drew me to the uni not where I stay :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoelingua)
    Accommodation is pretty important to me, even though many people are like 'you'll barely be there, you'll be out all the time' I know I'll need somewhere to relax and be able to think of as 'home'.

I was originally planning on going for the cheap-standard-shared bathroom type accommodation... But being an only child and coming from a small family, the thought of sharing a bathroom and stuff with like 11 other people (going to sound incredibly selfish right now) is something I would struggle with. It also worried me for when I got sick and stuff (which is pretty regular) as I would hate the thought of not being able to deal with it privately.

Came to the conclusion that I would rather be happy and have to pay a little extra money to be in an en-suite than be constantly on edge and worry in a standard room.

The room size comes as an added bonus IMO. I have a pretty big room atm, but I have some much stuff I don't need in it having a smaller room might be good for me to clear out some stuff!

Also, the accommodation at the uni I'm going to is pretty basic. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because I know I can work with it to make it my own; the degree drew me to the uni not where I stay :P
    Thank you!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think of a definite combination of price and room type.
    If the standard (non en suite) room is drastically less money than en suite; i'd go for the standard
    however if it's within £10-£15 difference, you might as well go for an en suite for added comfort.
    room size doesn't bother me as i've always grown up sharing a bedroom; as long as the room is a decent size enough to fit a bed and desk in it'd be fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caver)
    I think of a definite combination of price and room type.
    If the standard (non en suite) room is drastically less money than en suite; i'd go for the standard
    however if it's within £10-£15 difference, you might as well go for an en suite for added comfort.
    room size doesn't bother me as i've always grown up sharing a bedroom; as long as the room is a decent size enough to fit a bed and desk in it'd be fine for me.
    What would you say is a decent price range for a room, provided that the person getting the room has a part time job and will have extra money along with the loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnshattock)
    What would you say is a decent price range for a room, provided that the person getting the room has a part time job and will have extra money along with the loan
    In my opinion... I'd personally pay
    En suite - £110-£130 a week
    En suite - £150-£190 a week (London)

Standard - No more than £90 a week including bills
    Standard - No more than £130 (London)

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.