Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I just wanted to know how the application process and other stuff goes when a student from the uk wants to apply for unis like harvard and MIT in america because there educational system is completely different to ours

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farid1999)
    Hi guys! I just wanted to know how the application process and other stuff goes when a student from the uk wants to apply for unis like harvard and MIT in america because there educational system is completely different to ours

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As you have posted this thread in a Computer Science sub-forum, I take it that you are interested in studying Computer Science in the US.

If you are aspiring for Harvard and MIT you need to get A*s and As in both GCSE and A-Levels. To strengthen your application you need to demonstrate interest in your major through participation in various activities and opportunities available to you. If you are interested in a science/computer science related major/degree then participation in science/mathematics competitions (i.e. Olympiads), work experience in research or interest in electronics can be highly beneficial.

For US universities you need to do SAT, ACT or SAT Subject Tests in addition to GCSE and A-Levels for admission.

In terms of application, MIT has its own application system: https://my.mit.edu/uaweb/login.htm

You can apply to Harvard through the "Common Application": https://www.commonapp.org

With that said there are plenty of good universities apart from MIT and Harvard in the US for Computer Science. This website gives you the Computer Science rankings:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ience-rankings

ReputationRep:
    What year do you need to start the application process? Because i was doing some research and some sites said you start sending off forms in year 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farid1999)
    What year do you need to start the application process? Because i was doing some research and some sites said you start sending off forms in year 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You apply in Year 13 (second year of sixth form/a-levels).

But bear in mind, you have to do SAT, ACT or SAT Subject Tests to get into a decent US university otherwise you will not get admission.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.