Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If pass your test at 17 or 18 and own a car, would you view that as a sign of confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person. You can be sorted at 17/18, have a decent job and need a car, or you can be a useless waste-of-space chav who wants to fit 2000W subwoofers into some ****ty Vauxhall Corsa.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you wish to put it on a CV/Personal statement. I wouldnt bother, it's not really an achievement, and you'll be seen as "scraping the barrel".

ReputationRep:
    on a personal level i see it as a transistion into adulthood..but thats it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OBScene)
    Depends on the person. You can be sorted at 17/18, have a decent job and need a car, or you can be a useless waste-of-space chav who wants to fit 2000W subwoofers into some ****ty Vauxhall Corsa.

:rolleyes:

I have a job, I am 18, I'm not a chav but I drive a "****ty" vauxhall corsa with a sub and an amp. Your statement is just ridiculous tbh.

If you want good sound, a sub and an amp is the way to go.

If you want to chav up your car, get a snow plough bodykit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    You sound like you wish to put it on a CV/Personal statement. I wouldnt bother, it's not really an achievement, and you'll be seen as "scraping the barrel".

are you serious? :confused:

No, I'm not going to put it on my CV. I'm writing an essay which relates to this question that's why I asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    :rolleyes:

I have a job, I am 18, I'm not a chav but I drive a "****ty" vauxhall corsa with a sub and an amp. Your statement is just ridiculous tbh.

If you want good sound, a sub and an amp is the way to go.

If you want to chav up your car, get a snow plough bodykit.

Dunno why you're making fun, it's gonna snow soon!
    Somebody's gotta plough!

I htink my mate came out with best comment "When did Martians land on Earth" pointing to a Focus with a silly body kit, and thinking it looked like a UFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Dunno why you're making fun, it's gonna snow soon!
    Somebody's gotta plough!

I htink my mate came out with best comment "When did Martians land on Earth" pointing to a Focus with a silly body kit, and thinking it looked like a UFO.

Please stay on topic. Thnaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)

why would anyone put that on a CV?

ReputationRep:
    You can be a driver regardless of your other skills, how responsible you are, etcetc, therefore, I would say it means squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lad)
    why would anyone put that on a CV?
    To "scrape the barrel" if they have no skills or achievements.

ReputationRep:
    Well, sort of it is - if you're not confident in your driving you won't pass.

But in so many ways it's not a sign of that - owning a car generally means you have parents who will pay for that (yes, there are some 17 year olds who work really really hard to pay for it etc). Passing your test means you had the time and the inclination (and again, the money) to concentrate on it.

But is a 17 year old with his/her own car more confident than someone the same age who isn't learning to drive? Overall, no.

ReputationRep:
    Why WOULDNT you put the fact you hold a full licence on your CV? When you passed is irrelevant but some employers do want people that can drive!

I dont think having a car at 17/18 means you have rich parents. It means you EITHER have rich parents or work hard to have a car.

ReputationRep:
    I think if someone can drive at 17/18 it shows commitment and a willingness not to give up at the first sign of trouble...so yeh i guess people that can drive young do have alot of confidence in themselves and believe in their own ability to do so...and battle through problems they encountered driving.

Actually thinking about it, all the people i know who have passed their test at 17 have all gone on to be really successful, go getters...food for thought.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    If pass your test at 17 or 18 and own a car, would you view that as a sign of confidence.
    nope, just that you have a knack for a driving. some people do, and the less fortunate like myself- don't

ReputationRep:
    lol lol where I live the kids here start driving at 15 and 9 months!!

I didn't start until the age of 19 and I got teased There was a course at my school but I wasn't interested in taking it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    lol lol where I live the kids here start driving at 15 and 9 months!!

I didn't start until the age of 19 and I got teased There was a course at my school but I wasn't interested in taking it at the time.
    cool! theres nothing like that here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I think if someone can drive at 17/18 it shows commitment and a willingness not to give up at the first sign of trouble...so yeh i guess people that can drive young do have alot of confidence in themselves and believe in their own ability to do so...and battle through problems they encountered driving.

Actually thinking about it, all the people i know who have passed their test at 17 have all gone on to be really successful, go getters...food for thought.

Graham
    Meh, a lot of the ones I know who passed early crashed and/or lost their licences early on too. Real go-getters, they were.

ReputationRep:
    Crashing is all part of learning to drive.

They say if you crash you become a better driver if you learn from your mistake because you know your absolute limits...

Perhaps its the background of the people i know that make them go getters then.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfinished sympathy)
    cool! theres nothing like that here!
    My sister's 18 and she's just bought her 2nd car (as in, sold the first one, upgraded). Yeah she's been driving since she was 15 :rolleyes:

It's no reason for her to throw it in my face tho whenever we meet up, jeez!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.