Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    A drop slide in a fairground has a very steep initial slope which gradually curves into a more gentle slope. If a child drops down the slide,

what happens to his speed v and the magnitude of his acceleration a ?

Will both increase? If yes, I will then say my explanation.

(Original post by Daniel Atieh)
    A drop slide in a fairground has a very steep initial slope which gradually curves into a more gentle slope. If a child drops down the slide,

what happens to his speed v and the magnitude of his acceleration a ?

Will both increase? If yes, I will then say my explanation.
    No. One increases and the other gets less. (But see below)
    Can you decide which?
    (Are we to assume no friction? Is this the complete and original question? Was there a diagram? The child eventually comes to rest, we hope, so at some point his speed will start to decrease, and friction played an important part.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    No. One increases and the other gets less. (But see below)
    Can you decide which?
    (Are we to assume no friction? Is this the complete and original question? Was there a diagram? The child eventually comes to rest, we hope, so at some point his speed will start to decrease, and friction played an important part.)
    The velocity increases and the acceleration decreases right?

Yeah, this is the complete question. It's from the PAT papers. I guess we have to assume there is no friction though.

(Original post by Daniel Atieh)
    The velocity increases and the acceleration decreases right?

Yeah, this is the complete question. It's from the PAT papers. I guess we have to assume there is no friction though.
    The acceleration depends on how steep the slope is. If it's flat the acceleration is zero.
    So acceleration gets less as the slope gets more gentle.
    The velocity will increase so long as there is (positive) acceleration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    The acceleration depends on how steep the slope is. If it's flat the acceleration is zero.
    So acceleration gets less as the slope gets more gentle.
    The velocity will increase so long as there is (positive) acceleration.
    Thank you.

Damn, I even forgot simple mechanics :/

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.